X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Nios
    • Nov 2003

Closed Captions Onscreen Text Positioning

Hello -

I'm learning about encoding and decoding video projects. There's one part that baffles me and that is about closed captions and subtitles. It seems that the difference between closed captions and subtitles is the on screen text positioning. Closed captioning seems to have the capability of placing text below of the person that is being spoken. If a person on the right of the screen talks, the caption text is placed on the right. This kind of set up makes it easier for audience to follow. Subtitles, (i.e. *.srt, *.sub, etc) on the other hand, places text at a fixed position which is usually in bottom-middle part of the screen. When looking into the subtitle files, it doesn't preserve the onscreen position.

Now, I wonder how do I preserve the closed caption positioning when transfer DVD movies into AVI files? Which files do I look into?What tools do I use? Where is a good place for me to research?

-N
  • thanhvn
    • Jun 2002

my experience shows me that subtitles can be positioned below the speaking person too, that is, if they're already set up that way by the DVD authors. Ex: "Friends & Family", "Red Dragon", etc.

Comment

Working...