X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kowderoi
    • Oct 2003

miniDV avi > DivX: audio low pitch, in synch

Hello all,

I've had a look through the forums, but couln't find anything on this particular problem.

I've compressed some DV AVI files in VirtualDub using the DivX 3.11 low-motion codec (got error message about framesize (error number -2) with DivX 5.x Pro with the same files...), selecting direct stream copy for audio.

Original DV AVI (PAL) format resized to 640x512, bitrate of 1500.

The resulting video is fine for my purposes (no frills, just to show some stuff to friends) and the audio is in synch, but the pitch has dropped by several octaves, so my wife sounds like a male hormone-popping monster, not to mention what my voice sounds like!

I find it odd that the pitch should drop like this while the audio and video streams stay in synch.

Now that I think about it, I haven't verified the original samle rate, but it should be the PAL AVI default value of 48000. No idea of the bit depth.

Is my sound card (built into my poor old motherboard and therefore probably not of great quality or capacity) unable to keep up with the superior sample rate or could there be another problem? Should I just re-encode and downsample the audio to 44000 or less?

I'd appreciate any insight into this and the problem with DivX 5.x Pro as well. I may be away for a few days, so don't be upset if I don't get back right away.

Thanks!

kowderoi
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Now that I think about it, I haven't verified the original samle rate, but it should be the PAL AVI default value of 48000. No idea of the bit depth."

1) Load the original video file into VirtualDub (or one of its many variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (BOTH video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

Comment

Working...