Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mpholics
    • Dec 2003

software comparison guide?

I have been using FlaskMpeg for quite sometime now, first the the original version (.594) and now the Intel optimized version. I have never used another encoding program and I was wondering if there is a FAQ or Guide or comparison chart which compares Flask, Xmpeg, Gourdian Knot, etc. I am interested in how fast each encodes, how stable they are, and ease of use. I do not need multipass encoding, but do require the ability to read .ifo files so all the .vobs are encoded in one operation.

Thanks
  • SpikeSpiegel
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Apr 2003

Briefly:

Flask: fast, but low quality (HQ Bicubic resize is like bilinear)

Xmpeg: a little slower than flask, acceptable definition, but noise&macroblocks using low bitrates

DVX: using lanczos resize, quality is almost perfect; it's a little comlicated (but here you can find some guides) and speed is not really high, but some passages could be faster or avoided, for example: d2v file creation with DVD2AVI could be avoided using Smart Ripper (it creates the .d2v file without reducing the rip speed)

GordianKnot: DVX is better

I use some programs of DVX, but separately, because I like to have max control of settings:
    SmartRipper+DVD2AVI(just4DVDinfo)+Avisynth+Virtual DubMod+Besweet+Wavemp3 using DivX in dual pass and Mp3CBR or Ogg Vorbis.

Comment

Working...