Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • darkfalz
    • Aug 2004

Help! Cannot downgrade DivX version

I have major problems with 5.2.1 and I wish to go back to 5.1.1. The problem with 5.2.1 is that VirtualDub frequently hangs when I am starting a multi-pass encoding job, I have to crash it and then start it again and it usually works after that. I think it's a problem with the codec not changing settings properly after being open.

Anyway, I removed it completely (searched registry and removed all the keys, including the Protexis key) but no matter how many times I try to put 5.1.1 back on, it doesn't work. Basically divxdec.ax refuses to register during the install process (or manually)... so that if I even click on a DivX encoded AVI, the system hangs and the Decoder Configuration Utility doesn't load.

5.1.1 is the last stable version as far as I'm concerned, DivX networks keep adding stupid invasive protections and non-compliant things to their codecs that just make for a big pain when using it.

Any suggestions? And keep in mind I've already removed all divx files and registry settings I could find, and it's the same crap. Is this actually because of SP2 by any chance? I recently reinstalled Windows, however I did have 5.1.1 working fine on SP2 before.
    OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
    CPU Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with HT (Northwood) Motherboard ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
    RAM 512 MB Kingston DDR400 3-3-3-8 Dual Channel
    Display NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 256 MB (ASUS V9570TD) Monitor 17" Mitsubishi Diamond View 1770 FD
    Sound SoundMAX Digital Audio Speakers DKL Stereo 480 Watts PMPO
    NIC 3Com Gigabit LOM Modem Creative Modem Blaster Flash56 DE5620-G
    HDD Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120 GB HDD Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 200 GB
    Optical SONY CRX300E CD-RW/DVD-ROM Optical SONY DWD18A DVD±RW
    Case AOpen KF45A-P4 PSU AOpen ATX-250GU
    Keyboard Microsoft Internet Keyboard Mouse Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical
  • ziadost
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

divx 5.1.1 should be working on SP2, but it causes explorer to hang if you right-click anywhere... anyway, my only advice is to format your hard drive, or even better, use the far superior codec "xvid"... guides can be found at http://www.divx-digest.com

xvid beats divx in quality, and much much more in speed
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• darkfalz
      • Aug 2004

Seems DEP was to blame... I have disabled it all together. System seems a bit faster too.
      OS Microsoft Windows XP Professional Service Pack 2
      CPU Intel Pentium 4 3.0 GHz with HT (Northwood) Motherboard ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
      RAM 512 MB Kingston DDR400 3-3-3-8 Dual Channel
      Display NVIDIA GeForce FX 5700 256 MB (ASUS V9570TD) Monitor 17" Mitsubishi Diamond View 1770 FD
      Sound SoundMAX Digital Audio Speakers DKL Stereo 480 Watts PMPO
      NIC 3Com Gigabit LOM Modem Creative Modem Blaster Flash56 DE5620-G
      HDD Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 120 GB HDD Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 200 GB
      Optical SONY CRX300E CD-RW/DVD-ROM Optical SONY DWD18A DVD±RW
      Case AOpen KF45A-P4 PSU AOpen ATX-250GU
      Keyboard Microsoft Internet Keyboard Mouse Microsoft Wheel Mouse Optical

Comment

Working...