Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • macca
    • Apr 2002

encoding large files in VirtualDub

I'm trying to encode a large AVI (10GB DV AVI) that was captured through Scenalyzer. Using DivX 5.01 and the latest VirtualDub 1.4.9. The problem I have is that VirtualDub stops encoding and gives an "error -100 Decompress......". The error occurs randomly - and NEVER at the same frame. Also I am able to encode it through Adobe Premiere without a problem (it just takes twice as long for some reason). So I am assuming the file itself is ok. Has anyone else hit this problem with VirtualDub? Is it a known problem that VDub cannot handle very large files? Is there a workaround for it?

Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I believe that VirtualDub's limit is still 2 Gigs (perhaps it's now been enhanced for OPen DML AVI to 4 Gigs). I'd suggest that you use Premiere to cut the file into 2Gig pieces and then use VirtualDub for your conversion.

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• techno
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Nov 2001

Yeh that's right. But I have done this myself as a test:

if u have an NTFS partition, it will not produce any errors, as NTFS can hold upto 3TB in one file.

Techno

Comment

• macca
        • Apr 2002

I should have specified that I am using Win XP and NTFS so there should be no problem with the OS handling the large file. However I might try splitting them up anyway and see if it makes a difference to the result at all.

I am still leaning towards there being a problem either in DivX or in VDub that is causing this one. I emailed the guy at www.virtualdub.org about this too but not sure if that will lead anywhere as he probably gets a million emails.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

The fact that there is no size restriction regarding NTFS doesn't in any way alter any limitations (as I mentioned earlier) that VirtualDub itself may have.

Do let us know if splitting the file into 2 Gig pieces allows VirtualDub to process your video...

Comment

Working...