Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ham
    • Jan 2002

Decreasing file size with nandub

I have a movie that is a little bit oversized which I'm trying to fix with nandub. I've tried decreasing the max gauge setting decrementally all the way down to 40 to no avail, so decreasing it further is out of the question.

What other settings can I try to decrease the file size a few Mbs at a time without affecting its quality? This means I don't really want to mess with the bitrate settings apart from what it got in the calculator. So are there any other settings besides the gauge and the bitrate I can try to decrease the movie size by a small fraction? I have the time to keep trying with the numbers till it work, but I need to know what settings I can work with.

Thanks in advance.
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

I don't know if you have done this or not, but have you tried to remove the credits?

What was the bitrate you used?

What audio sample frequency and bitrate did you use?

try making the audio 44100Hz 128 kbps.

I cannot think more at this time.

Please let us know

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

What exactly is your situation? Are you trying to convert a DVD into DivX and have got a slightly oversized file? Or have you got this video file that needs to have its size decreased a bit? If it is the first situation, changins some settings in nandub and rerunning the second pass will do the trick nicely. For the other one, Techno's suggestion of removing the end credits is a sound one. It won't affect the quality in any way.

Do you need help in doing either method?

Comment

• Ham
        • Jan 2002

I have a movie that needs to have its size decreased a bit, and no, it did not have end credits to begin with, so I can't cut off anything. I'm using a bitrate of 1006 and I'm getting the audio from the source so I'm doing a direct stream copy with it.

I don't want to compress the audio until I try other options that can decrease file size without reducing quality. How about the DRF? I currently have a 2-8 setting for min-max, and keyframe quality of 4-31 for min-max.

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

The obvious thing to do would be to use a lower bitrate. Adjusting the gauge settings to influence the file size will aid you as well. A gauge setting of 2-5 (or 2-6) can be used.

Comment

Working...