Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ghobbit
    • Apr 2002

Filter and passes

Could someone tell me if I am on the right track.

Using Nandub

I apply the filters before I do the first pass. This then creates a stats file which is saved automatically by nandub. Even if i turn the computer off the stats file is still there and can be used to do the second pass.

I read on a thread that once you've done the first pass you should save it as an avi. I dont understand why if the intention is to create a stats file for use in the second pass unless of course people are only opting to do one pass - which i understood to be bad.

Lastly I also read on another thread that before you do the second pass you should do the filters again. Why?? I thought that was taken care of in the first pass and is all included in the stats file which the second pass uses.

Sorry for the waffle

I appreciate your replies
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Originally posted by ghobbit

I read on a thread that once you've done the first pass you should save it as an avi. I dont understand why if the intention is to create a stats file for use in the second pass unless of course people are only opting to do one pass - which i understood to be bad.
    The command 'Save as avi' is simply the command that starts the first pass and the second for that matter, the first pass simulates an encoding at maximum quality, but throws away the output and create the statsfile instead. The second pass will then generate the real avi file.

Lastly I also read on another thread that before you do the second pass you should do the filters again. Why?? I thought that was taken care of in the first pass and is all included in the stats file which the second pass uses.
    The stats file does not know which filters was used, it only logs the complexity of each input frame, because of this it's important that the same input is used for both the first and second pass. And this means using the same filters.

I think you need to be carefull about what you read in these forums, some of the statements you refer to were obviously made in a cirtain context, when you don't fully understand this context you are bound to run into problems.

Read some guides instead

Easy to use:

Harder but more indepth:

Last edited by khp; 19 Apr 2002, 07:21 AM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• ghobbit
      • Apr 2002

Thanks for reply

Thats helpful to know. The one and only time I tried this I didnt reuse the filters in the second pass.

I think some problems and confusion arises not simply because they are taken out of context but because there is so much information out there, that you frequently run into items that contradict each other. Even some of the guides have info that contradicts advice I've seen on this forum. Also I can not always ask a guide questions - I thought the purpose of a forum was to benefit from the wisdom of the gurus such as your good self

I think its great that there are so many opinions and debates as to whats the best approach.

I always appreciate your opinions and replies

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

I think some problems and confusion arises not simply because they are taken out of context but because there is so much information out there, that you frequently run into items that contradict each other. Even some of the guides have info that contradicts advice I've seen on this forum.
        Yes everyone here are real people (except setarip, he's a machine ), and we all have our own opinions, and because there is no one method, that is clearly superior to all other methods, there will always be opposing views on how to do things.

Also I can not always ask a guide questions
        If you have questions related to any paticular guides, you are welcome to ask them here, if not directly to the author.
        (questions related to any of doom9's guides should be posted at http://forum.doom9.net )

I thought the purpose of a forum was to benefit from the wisdom of the gurus such as your good self
        It most cirtainly is, the reason I directed you to some guides is that you seemed to have very little experience with this, and explaning everything from scratch just takes too long.
        Last edited by khp; 19 Apr 2002, 12:33 PM.
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• ghobbit
          • Apr 2002

Hi KHP

Thanks for your reply

You're quite right I am quite inexperienced in this field which is why I resort to reading the muiltitude of guides out there to the point of information overload. I have reams of stuff Ive printed off just to try and absorb it all.

I took a little exception to being told I had taken something out of context when frankly I didnt feel that I had - I havent lost all my marbles yet

Someone had asked a question on a thread and the answer that was given seemed to contradict what I knew or thought I knew and therefore I was simply asking for confirmation one way or the other.

In nandub, once I'd selected my filters I had been clicking on first pass instead of save as avi purely because the guide said to. I was aware that clicking on first pass doesnt actually create the avi and that the second pass does.

I now know thanks to you that clicking on save as avi does pretty much the same thing as clicking on first pass

So naturally when I see on a thread which says you should be clicking on save as avi then I think its pretty understandable that I was concerned that perhaps I was doing things wrong and that I simply hadnt understood the order of events.

As for the other thread, the guide I was following didnt mention anything about having to redo the filters before the second pass so of course When I read you should be then naturally I questioned it. Because the guide had you doing the filters before the first pass and for the second pass simply has you setting up bitrates etc and doesnt mention anything about filters then I was a little confused as to what was going on between the two passes.

Thanks to your advice I am much clearer on the subject.
          My apologies for having taken up your time.

Have a great weekend

ghobbit

Comment

Working...