Clear All
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

DVD2AVI quality issue

Hi there.

I am noticing a problem already.

When I rip the DVD to the hdd using smartripper (I think it is v2.41?) and then I use dvd2avi for the project, when you look at the preview in dvd2avi, you can see the picture very clear but it is like a snowy type picture instead of a clear picture. The DVD plays smooth (quality) on the DVD player and on my PC from my DVDROM drive.

This is kinda, effecting the quality in some areas, especially the blue sky. You can see artifacts there.

I have resized it using these res:

480*256
    512*206
    576*320

The quality has improved (the artifacts) as I went higher up in res but you can still see the snowy type effect on the blue sky pictures.

Any body's advice or help is most appreciated.

Thanks

Techno
  • techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

Obviously no one cares.

Even Setarip.

What is his problem?

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

I think you're just being too picky on that. After all, it's only a preview. What you're seeing there is not necessarily sent into the compressor.

To be more exact, why do you have to resize in DVD2AVI? Given that I work on NTSC (and hence interlaced) DVDs, I will definitely need to apply IVTC and deinterlacer, and having the video resized before hand will ensure problems. Therefore, I usually do crop & resize at the last part (except subtitles, of course).

Comment

• techno
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Nov 2001

Enchanter - I am not being picky, I was just wondering if this is normal or not! no harm in asking is there?

I don't crop in DVD2AVI, I make a project for GK.

Because the guides I have seen have said to look and play back the preview in DVD2AVI and note down if it's interlaced, what the frame rate is etc...

I am in a PAL region, but I don't mind if I switch to NTSC, I would be happy to do anything which works out great.

Thanks for the kind effort to reply.

Thanks

Techno

Comment

Working...