Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anubis
    • Dec 2001

HD Divx for hire??

I'm looking for a codec that was posted a few months ago, but I can no-longer find it. I don't remember the name, but it allows you to encode at HD resolutions with no increase in file size (yeah right..). If you know of this codec/pluigin I'd be interested in a review..

Also where one would find such a tool..

Anubis

• techno
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Nov 2001

nope....can't remember,

use DIVX 3.11alpha! hehehe

Is it XVID your talking about? (It's DIVX spelt backwards)

Techno

Comment

• Anubis
      • Dec 2001

Nope,

But according to what I've read about DivX 5.x, it seems that my prayers have been answered. The only problem is that I cannot view the files it generates, don't know why..

Anubis

Comment

• hacker_on_fire
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Mar 2002

Dont believe everything you read. I have been 2 the DivX Networks website. All they do is baffel you with some long words and give you a list of long features its have.

Dont believe a word of it.

Use DivX3.11 (hehehe)
        MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU

How 2 post questions correctly
        Look here before posting questions

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

The previous sugestions of using 3.11 will yield excellent results ONLY if you use 2-pass mode and hence, nandub. Nandub isn't the easiest tool to use, compared to many others, and if you're not familiar with video encoding, let alone nandub.

I suggest you try out GordianKnot and 2-pass encoding in Virtualdub (with DivX4.12 or DivX5.01). They are much easier to use. Once you're more familiar with this kind of stuff, you can then try out nandub. The quality is superior indeed.

Comment

• techno
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Nov 2001

3.11alpha rules!

tell u what, use my DVD ripping guide, method 2, it is simple and fast and it produces the same quality as nandub 2pass (ok, ok, maybe 5% loss)

Techno

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

But according to what I've read about DivX 5.x, it seems that my prayers have been answered. The only problem is that I cannot view the files it generates, don't know why..
              Would you happen to be working in 2-pass mode and that you're trying to view the file output of the first pass (which is a non-functional AVI file)? You need to do the second pass, before you can get viewable AVIs.

Another thing. I mean no offence here, but I find Doom9's guides very useful. They did help me gain the basic knowledge on video encoding: http://www.doom9.org/divx-encoding.htm

Comment

• Anubis
                • Dec 2001

(edited for content)

I'll give the guide a try, and thanks for the tip on the multi-pass!!

Ok,

Let's see if I can get this right, I've been using Divx 3.11 for about a year or so along with Flask.. I've gotten great results with Divx 3.11. I've just started to use the multipass enhancements in Divxpro 5.0. It seems that every time I render, I get a flag (error) stating that Divx cannot write to log file. If I use the defaults it works great (no multipass).

I downloaded the free version of Divxpro, so I hope that I am not
                wasting time trying to use these features if they're not available.

So, with that said here's the whole deal - I'm working on a few multimedia projects that I'd like to use DivX as the star encoder.
                I'm still working on a way to use the open DivX source code in Director 8.5 as a player filter. (Loading the codec in RAM).

Any suggestions, help would be most appricated..

Anubis.
                Last edited by Anubis; 12 May 2002, 05:44 PM.

Comment

Working...