Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • alc101ma
    • Jul 2002

best for cartoons?

What do you guys think is better for cartoons, the slow motion or fast motion 3.11 DivX codec? I think I will also give my first try with the new 5.02 codec. I've done a bunch of regular movies but this is my first try at a cartoon. Specifically, I am going to process 'Princess Mononoke.'

note: this is a repost from the DVD section
  • d-clone
    • Jul 2002

Dont take my opinion as what you should use, bc i havent done cartoons yet, but heres what I would use and why:

- 480 x Respective AR: Lower res, thers no need to see wrinkles on somebodys face or anything, unless its CG (shrek, toy story etc.)

- Divx 5.02: Ive heard around here that the divx 5 is better for cartoons because it does a better jobs on edges

- Billinear Resizing: Again, no need to see individual hairs on sean connery´s beard

I dont know, but I would think that you could fit a 2 hour or maybe a 2 and a half hour cartoon in one cd with pretty good quality, bc of the low res and high compressibility.

Wait for one of the big guys to answer you, hopefully theyll clear it up a bit more.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

I have pretty much the same opinion with d-clone. Just remember to use 2-pass mode encoding since this gives the most optimal quality for the amount of bitrate you assign. As for the codec selection, your eyes will be the best judge for that. I'm still using 3.11 by the way.

p.s. I haven't done Mononoke Hime, so I can't comment on how to work on it.

Comment

• d-clone
        • Jul 2002

Originally posted by Enchanter
        Just remember to use 2-pass mode encoding since this gives the most optimal quality for the amount of bitrate you assign
        Why use anything else

If there were a 4 pass option, I would use that and only that.

BTW, itss cool to hear that you agree with me, hehe

Comment

Working...