Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • d98rolb
    • Jul 2002

Scale bandwidth with MPEG-4

I have an MPEG-4 datastream with high bandwidth (over 1 Mbit/s). Now I want to adapt this stream in real-time so it can be transmitted over a low bit rate channel (maybe lower than 200 Kbit/s).

So what is my options?

1. I can unpack the movie, and decrease the resolution and the quality of the stream to lower the demand for bandwidth.
    This is quite complex, is it possible to do in real-time 25 frames/s?

2. Or I wondering if the MPEG-4 standard can handle this smarter? Much work is already done for encoding and identifying objects and motionvectors. And this is a very CPU-intensive part.
    Maybe the second alternative is to change some parameters in the stream and it will automatically lower the demand for bandwidth without to much need for CPU-power?

I have borrowed a book on the library called "Video compression demystified" by Peter Symes.
    It's a good book that tries to explain everything from DCT in JPEG to MPEG-4.
    It says like this:

Page 211, the second point, Simple Scalable Profile
    This adds support for coding of temporal and spatial scalable objects to the Simple Visual Profile. It is useful for
    applications which provide services at more than one level of quality due to bit rate or decoder resource limitations, such as Internet use or software decoding.

Page 216, Fine Grain Scalability
    The Fine Grain Scalability (FGS), often known as the Streaming Profile is intended to support applications and environment where the bandwidth and/or computational power cannot be predicted and may vary dynamically. The scaling tools provided by other parts of MPEG-4 are powerful in their own way, but have significant limitations.
    FGS provides a mechanism that permits a single encoding process, producing a bitstream that can be modified subsequently in two different ways. Prior to transmission, the bitstream may be processed to scale it down to known bandwidth limitations. This can be performed dynamically, for example in response to the requirements of a statistical multiplexing system. Downstream distribution points may reduce the bit rate if necessary.

This sounds great, I can skip the decode/encode part and only lower the quality of the stream.
    But how exactly is this done?
    Can this operation be made on all MPEG-4 streams?
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

1. Yes, I'am afraid that this is the only way to do this. Unfortunatly I don't know any apps that will do this with live video streaming.

2. I'am sorry but I don't think divx support any of this. Divx5.02 only support simple profile, and advanced simple profile.

The text you qoute, talks of Simple Scalable Profile.

For futher clarification on this subject, I think you need to talk to someone at www.divx.com , I'am not really an expert on the MPeg-4 standard.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• d98rolb
      • Jul 2002

I can follow up my previous request for help with a picture on

This show the different profiles in MPEG-4. I am interested in "Fine Grain
      Scalable" profile but are not sure how to implement it.
      The "SNR & temporal Scalability" of FGS? I assume SNR is "Signal to Noise
      Ratio" but what role does this play in FGS?

Regards Roland

ICQ# 13642050

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Great, thanks.

The Advanced coding efficiency sounds pretty interresting. But thats just me, beeing interrested in nothing but getting as much quality as possible in as little space as possible.

And it pretty much comfirms what I said im my first posting.

You can find the divx features listed here

Comment

• d98rolb
          • Jul 2002

So don't even Simple Scalable Profile is supported by DivX?
          Do you know any source that implement this?

Regards Roland

ICQ# 13642050 [/B][/QUOTE]

Comment

• khp
            The Other
            • Nov 2001

Originally posted by d98rolb
            So don't even Simple Scalable Profile is supported by DivX?
            NO, the link in my last posting, states this very clearly.

Originally posted by d98rolb

Do you know any source that implement this?
            NO

Comment

Working...