X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • quade2002
    • Aug 2002

anti-aliasing

ok - Im going mad...

I have a GeForce 4 card, and before that I had the Geforce 2. Ive been using TVOut to play my DivXs on my TV, but recently I have been watching films through the monitor...

Now, Im noticing that when I play the DivX full screen in Windows MP the file is very blocky, its fine in standard view (1:1) but when Fullscreen it seems to become jerky and blocky. I know for a fact that it used to become anti-aliased and look fantastic; now it looks awful.

Nothings been altered on my PC, and I have plenty of drive space (around 8GB) free my resolution is no different than it used to be, but if I lower it down to 800x600 and go full screen it goes blocky and juddery.

Any ideas??? Also, I am right about the smoothing effect, or am I going mad...

thanks
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) As far as the "jerkiness", make certain you've closed all unnecessary programs running in the background. Also, if you haven't done it recently, defragment your hard drive

2) Windows Media player doesn't perform any anti-aliasing when you enlarge a video. Perhaps the previous videos you watched fullscreen were created at a higher resolution than the one of which you are now speaking

3) Try using Sasami player - it has many smoothing, etc. adjustments available

Comment

• quade2002
      • Aug 2002

Well, the problems sorted now - seems that Windows XPs Media Detector (the thing which monitors when a CD etc has been inserted) was killing my machine...

It was listed as 0% CPU process, but once I killed it off i could even hear the HDD calm down straight away. Basically the HDD was getting hammered and therefore the Graphics Card was unable to render the bitrate...

Which explains why my DV editing was also going to pot - the HDD was unable to keep the transfer rate!

As for Anti-Aliasing, WMP is able to access the functions of the GeForce card to enable anti-aliasing features. Which is one of the reasons I have kept with the family of cards...

This means that at full screen a DivX movie looks smooth - you can even see the anti-aliasing feature kick in after a few seconds!!!

Comment

Working...