Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bager
    • Oct 2002

Which services does divx playback need?

I have been looking at the services that are started with my windows xp and have been shuting down the ones that aren't in use by my system (you know to tweak my system a bit ).
    But after this tweaking session the divx playback does not work. Mpg playback does. I could try to find the right service that causes problems (that i probably disabled) but that would probably take hours. So i am asking you experts if you know which services are needed to smoothly playback any divx/xvid/mpg/etc movie (in winXP but i think the sollution can also apply to other windows systems).
    I would realy apreciate the help on this one.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I wouldn't just randomly shut down services without knowing exactly what they do. You might inadvertently shut down those that Windows needs to operate correctly.

You might want to take a look at this site and see whether you can find any useful information.

Comment

• bager
      • Oct 2002

I did not randomly shut down services. I read what each service does (with help of a webpage) with advices what should be disabled and what left running. it took me about 5-6h to go through the whole system. Well i disabled some that are needed (lice copy/paste stopped working) which i corrected in a matter of minutes. But for this problem i dont know what the solution could be.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

I don't know if DivX actually needs any of the services running to be able to properly function. However, I myself have disabled a few services (strictly ONLY those that I have no need of), and left the rest intact. To be frank, I never notice any marked improvement in speed (except for that placebo effect which has you thinking that it has actually gone faster). I think it's better to play safer and leave most of the services enabled (put it to Manual if need be, so it is started only when needed).

As to your original problem, have you tried reinstalling the codecs and also reenabling those services you previously disabled?

Comment

Working...