Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Deus
    • Nov 2001

Copyrights are Bad

I have to write a persuasive essay on a topic that I choose. I am going to do it on why Copyrights are bad, and stuff like that. I need some sources does anyone have some good sites that would have info? or thoughts on this them selves. Thanks

Deus
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Doing a Google search will definitely provide you with a plethora of sources...

(By the way, good luck in supporting your point of view - without copyright and patent protections, we'd probably be using two tin cans and a string to communicate - and virtually all original thinkers would keep their thoughts to themselves ;>} )

Comment

• Deus
      • Nov 2001

I dont mean it like that I mean it in the terms of Why Pirated movies are not bad. Defending the point of View of people like the people on this forum.
      Last edited by Deus; 12 Nov 2002, 10:59 AM.

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

Google.com is ultimately the best resource I also like alltheweb.com at times however. Good luck on your essay!

Copyrights and patents are a "mixed bag". They have allowed protection for creative genius and guaranteed returns on investement. On the other hand, patents---particularly on certain medical drugs--have hurt many people. The backlash against copyrights/patents is evident by the growing "open source" movement.
        Last edited by Batman; 12 Nov 2002, 11:13 AM.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"The backlash against copyrights/patents is evident by the growing "open source" movement."

Not to make this even vaguely resemble a debate but, rest assured, those who are generating open source software have other PRIMARY sources of income (And how did the ultimate "open source" software, Linux work its way into commercial enterprises such as RedHat, IBM, etc. ?)

"Defending the point of View of people like the people on this forum."

Assuming that there is a universal point of view at these forums is to begin with a false hypothesis. Some posters here (apparently) do nothing other than download/upload videos on the 'Net. Others of us actually convert/replicate/duplicate only media that we have purchased. Still others actually CREATE original video source material.

I shall now "duck and cover", should any flak find its way into responses ;>}

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by setarip
            Not to make this even vaguely resemble a debate but, rest assured, those who are generating open source software have other PRIMARY sources of income (And how did the ultimate "open source" software, Linux work its way into commercial enterprises such as RedHat, IBM, etc. ?)
            That does not refute my point. Open source software is entering enterprise, as industry finds it to be far more cost-effective (and scalable) to maintain when compared to "closed source" alternatives. A major part of the "open source free software" effort is to allow free, easily modifiable, software with fewer restrictions (patents/copyrights).
            Last edited by Batman; 12 Nov 2002, 12:16 PM.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"industry finds it to be far more cost-effective to maintain when compared to "closed source" alternatives."

But not nearly as profitable...

(Monopolistic tendencies are inherent in Capitalism)

P.S. Using (once again) the universal "industry" is erroneous, as it is at this point in time primarily the software industry that has dipped its toe in the experimental waters of open source...

Comment

• Batman
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Jan 2002

I agree that the software industry is currently "experimenting" with open source software. Open source may be cheaper as companies will no longer have to pay (or pay as much) in licensing fees. They can modify open source software to meet their particular needs---increasing efficency. Many software companies hope that by reducing costs, they can increase the "bottom line"---so increasing profits is part of the reason open source is utilized as well as the fact that it can be easily modified, distributed, and reduced "restrictions" etc... News.com has some good articles on why companies are "experimenting" with open source Then again this is all an experiment...it could fail. This topic is getting a bit off topic

Doom9.org forums and divx.com forums have some detailed discussion on "movie piracy" you may want to check them out Deus.
                Last edited by Batman; 12 Nov 2002, 12:35 PM.

Comment

• Deus
                  • Nov 2001

Yea I can see that this is getting off topic. ill have to check out Doom9's Posts. But still keep posting your opinions so I can get some ideas for this paper.

Comment

• admin
                    Administrator
                    • Nov 2001

I've moved this post to the protest/rants forum.

It's hard to write an essay on copyrights are bad, because they are indeed necessary (if I remember correctly, the French abolished copyrights just after the French Revolution, but it didn't work out too well). Even open-source projects need copyright, highlighted by the recent row between XviD and Sigma Designs.

Instead, it may be better to write an essay about why the current copyright laws (especially those dealing with Internet/digital based copyright, and intellectual property) are flawed and the recent changes (DMCA) makes it even worse. Something like "When Copyright Laws Go Too Far".

The main points, for this argument, would be :

* The whole DeCSS debate, whether consumers are entitled to make digital copies of music/movies they've purchase (the music/movie industry certainly don't think so)

* Copyright protection technology does not work!! Either too weak or too inconvenient.

* DMCA would prevent research in the area of cryptography, such as cracking the DVD CSS code, which had it been done earlier, would have meant that DVDs would have encryption that actually works.

* DMCA takes away consumer rights - in the future, we may have to pay a copyright fee everytime we use anything copyrighted, like watch a DVD. In fact, copyright issues have turned into an industry VS consumer issue. Copy protection increases cost to consumers.

* Copyright laws aren't going to stop the real pirates, eg. those with industrial DVD duplication machines.

* Peer-to-peer digital data sharing. Crackdown on sharing, instead of providing alternative legal/paying digital distribution of content - people moving away from centralised service such as Napster, and moving to decentralised/server-less services such as Gnutella, Freenet, Overnet. Making copyright control even harder. IRC is file sharing as well, although since it is marketed as a chat tool no one is cracking down on them.

* In truth, DMCA and copyright laws, and technology to prevent copyright abuse have not worked. Needs new thinking to solve this problem.

There should be quiet a few articles on the Net for the above points, especially about Napster/DeCSS and these well known court cases.

Nicky Page has also written about these issues before :

Hope this helps.
                    Last edited by admin; 12 Nov 2002, 02:11 PM.
                    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Batman
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Jan 2002

I agree with you admin. Copyright is essential, however in some cases, current copyright legislation is unfair. "Copyright is bad" makes for one tough school assignment

Comment

• Deus
                        • Nov 2001

Yea I figured that it would be a hard topic to argue. Thats why I posted here for some Ideas. Admins idea sounds good. Ill have to go for that

Comment

• Deus
                          • Nov 2001

Yea I figured that it would be a hard topic to argue. Thats why I posted here for some Ideas. Admins idea sounds good. Ill have to go for that

Comment

Working...