M$ WMV
    0%
    MPEG4 (ASP)
    0%
    MPEG4 (AVC)
    0%
    MPEG2
    0%

Member of E.V.I.L. Corp. 2003 ® - Website in progress...
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

I say no to HD-DVD altogether, and just go with Blu-Ray since it's much more established than HD-DVD at the moment. But it would be scary if Microsoft end up monopolising the Hi Def DVD market as well.

Here's a news story from last month about this:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Soulhunter
      • Mar 2004

WMV for Blu-Ray then...

Bye

Member of E.V.I.L. Corp. 2003 ® - Website in progress...

Comment

• tigerman8u
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Aug 2003

I go with Blue-Ray (AVC). Microsoft is to monopolistic and getting into to many markets, controlling to much and leaving fewer choices to the ppl. Is it possible for divx or xvid ?

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

Blu-Ray will most likely drive Microsoft away from the hi def DVD market, because the PS3 is scheduled to use Blu-Ray discs, and I doubt the X-Box will follow suit. That's one more reason to support Blu-Ray

Microsoft already has some experience with HD content, on the T2 Extreme Edition using WMV. But the damn thing has DRM, and only allows playback if you have an Internet connection and if you live in the US/Canada (it checks that by connecting to an authentication server). If WMV goes on HD-DVD, I would expect the same level of protection.

Comment

• Traiklin
            • Apr 2004

If that sort of protection did come about I picture the HD-DVD players being the Next DivX players (you had to have an active internet connection for the thing to work).

I doubt alot of people will be jumping on that bandwagon again.

Comment

• SKD_Tech
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Jan 2003

I could really care less what format they used as long as it is better quality than the DVD's now a days. Me with HDTV and using component outputs on DVD players just don't have the quality I thought they did when I got it all. Don't get me wrong it looks great almost life like but I want bigger and better things

Comment

• Lumbar Magnot
                • Apr 2004

I'm not too happy with the whole HD DVD/TV thing - seems like little more than an excuse to make us buy more crap. We just finished moving over to dvd's and now they want us to spend 100's of dollars why? so the picture can be a little more crisp? I don't think its really worth it on anything but a computer/video game system where swapping is an issue, and I think its sort of iffy even there

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

When the average Joe can afford 50" widescreen HDTVs, then today's DVDs will seem like yesterday's VHS. That's probably when hi def DVD will really take off.

Comment

• MPS
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    Digital Video Enthusiast
                    • Mar 2003

i say blue ray.

Comment

• ziadost
                      Super Moderator
                      • Mar 2004

I agree with lumbar... technology doesn't move as fast as we all think... it is just released slowly so that we buy more and more.

think of the first CD burners-- started out at like 2x, next month 4x, next month 8x... etc
                      they had the technology for 52x all along... same greedy procedure for CPU's and TV's
                      at least thats my opinion
                      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• Lumbar Magnot
                        • Apr 2004

Originally posted by admin
                        When the average Joe can afford 50" widescreen HDTVs, then today's DVDs will seem like yesterday's VHS. That's probably when hi def DVD will really take off.
                        Possibly, but there''s far more of a technological gulf between VHS/DVD than DVD/Hi-DEf DVD. With VHS you have issues with tape degradation over time and a finicky mechanical system where a lot can go wrong, but the only difference between new and old dvds is that the new ones have better resolutions. I'm guessing that rather than DVD's phasing out in favor of Hi-def the two will probably co-exist with Hi-def catering to the high-end market and DVD's appealing to the bottom line. Short of concerted industry attempts to get rid of DVDs I think we can see the movies in stores for at least the next ten years. Of course all of that depends on how they price the damn things.
                        Last edited by Lumbar Magnot; 4 May 2004, 04:40 PM.

Comment

Working...