Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • RoofRabbit
    • Apr 2005

DVD Previews

Since this is the rant section, I definately have one.

More and more, the DVDs I buy start off with a whole slew of "previews" for other movies. That in itself isn't that bad, however, menu, fast forward, and next chapter buttons don't work until all the previews are complete.

I'm dead against this practice. When I pay $20 for a new DVD, I want to watch what I paid for, not 30 minutes or more of commercials. I actually returned the Garfield DVD I bought back to Wally-World just because of that reason without even seeing the movie.

I do have one DVD with previews that I tolorate, it was a free disk from one of the pizza places.

Does anyone else feel the same way I do?
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

I quite sympathise. It used to be bad on commercial videos but at least you could fast forward!
    I have found on some DVDs though it's only the copyright warning that's compulsory and once you get to the trailers, hitting 'menu' will take you to the main feature
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• stevenmarkand
      • May 2005

This practice was common on VHS rental tapes for years and has now been creeping into DVD releases. Even the latest batches of "Midnight Movies" from MGM have these annoying adverts. I admire your integrity RoofRabbit for returning the offending product. I've written MGM protesting this policy but I doubt "Hollywood, Inc." gives a damn.
      Thank goodness for the "movie only" option on DVDShrink!
      Last edited by stevenmarkand; 20 May 2005, 06:30 AM.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

to roof rabbit

"Does anyone else feel the same way I do?"

you better believe it, what i do is re-author the disc and use that back-up(movie only) for my viewing. then i either smash the original to pieces, or throw it in the bush
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• RoofRabbit
          • Apr 2005

I just did a full backup on one my wife just bought. Of course I can now hit the menu button and go where I want. I'll have to keep the origional though, it is proof I paid for the movie (or wife did actually lol).

Comment

• BigRedEraser
            • May 2005

I just bought a new DVD player for its Divx support. One of its features is Autoplay. the dvd player searches for the largest track and plays it, skipping all warnings and menus and trailers.

the player is the LG DVB418

Comment

• jmet
              Super Moderator
              • Nov 2002

While ripping in DVD Decrypter, you can go into the "Settings" and select "Remove IFO PUO's" which in return will disable that prohibited message you get when trying to bypass the preview, etc.

Comment

Working...