X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jhotmann
    Wannabe Digital Video Expert
    • Nov 2005

Who else is getting tired of Sony?

With the new ArccOS dvd protection and the cd copy protection that they have also introduced, I'm getting tired of Sony's attempts to stop the copying of digital media. Who else is getting sick of it?
  • anonymez
    Super Moderator
    • Mar 2004

me.

its great that their image has been a little tarnished the past few weeks
    "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• blutach
      Not a god of digital video
      • Oct 2004

Nah - ARccOS is simply proving to be something that is able to be beaten by the technicsal whizzes.

It'll be on more and more stuff, but so far, no DVDs are unable to be backed up.

ARccOS? Big Deal.

As someone else said today "Bring it on SONY"

Regards
      Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
      [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

i wish i could stop buying their blanks...but they are cheap so i have no choice
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
        (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• cornholio7
          Unavailable
          • Jun 2005

how's that for double morale
          arsecoss to try and stop you copying their discs and cheap blanks just in case you can

Comment

• LT. Columbo
            Demigod of Digital Video
            • Nov 2004

good point
            "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
            Columbo moments...
            "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
            "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
            (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

Comment

• H@X
              BURNER
              • Nov 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
              i wish i could stop buying their blanks...but they are cheap so i have no choice
              i bought a 50 pack of sony blank dvdr's today on principle. they are trying to make it tough to backup their dvd's so i will not only backup their dvd's but i will do it on their media. don't make much sense but it did at the time.

Comment

• H@X
                BURNER
                • Nov 2005

what is with the studios and copy protection? sony especially

kind of long winded

i it all about the money you think? probably no need to answer that one. i'm sure it is.
                seems like these companies that are releasing these dvd's and sony especially is dropping lots of money in trying to copy protect these dvd's. they are so worried about a loss of revenue?
                how is this any different that copying or backing up that has been going on with other media formats for 20 years?
                i remember 20 years ago when it was all about vhs and people would hook up 2 vcr's to their tv's so they could rent movies and tape them as they watch them. it wasn't a big deal then. what about people that had all the movie channels back then? all 4 of them you know hbo, showtime, cinemax, tmc. people would set their vcr's to record a movie when it came on. that was the early version of the dvr. if you set the vcr to extended play you could stuff 3, 2 hour movies on one tape.
                how about audio cassettes? i remember when they had those crazy giant boom boxes with dueal cassette players. you could pop an audio tape in one side and make an exact copy. was it no big deal then? seems like when computers became a household item is when the studios really started to take notice.
                for a while there cd's were essentially copy proof. computers hit it big with the early windows machines and as specs started to get better people started to rip cd's. then it was ripping and burning. then it was ripping and sharing ove the p2p. same is happening with the movies now.
                studios really seem to be trying their hardest to stop this. no matter how hard they try they are not gonna stop it. it will always be there.
                maybe when i was a kid and it was all about copying tapes the studios were in a frenzy over it and i just don't remember cause i was young. it seems like now though it is a serious problem to them. i think they should just give it up. they are never going to stop it.
                every time they release a new disc or whatever the new thing is thats copy proof it will get figured out.
                people like us on the outside have strenth in numbers. it WILL get figured out. you'd think they know this by now. i know they are trying to save money but how much could they save if they just stop trying? a lot i'm sure.
                next month they may release something new that is copy proof and in a flash someone will figure it out.

i remember some time ago one of the major studios released this new cd that could not be copied. actually i think it couldn't even be played in a pc. something about how the pc's read a certain area of the disc first and they corrupted that part of the disc with useless data that the pc could not get past. home stereos did not have this problem. anyway, some young ass teenage kid crackred it. i think it was the outside edge that was corrupted. this kid took a sharpie marker and traced all around the edge of the disc and put it in his rig and it played fine. millions spent on a copy proof cd and it was cracked by a kid with a marker.
                hahahahahahahah

Comment

• blutach
                  Not a god of digital video
                  • Oct 2004

Originally Posted by H@X
                  i bought a 50 pack of sony blank dvdr's today on principle. they are trying to make it tough to backup their dvd's so i will not only backup their dvd's but i will do it on their media. don't make much sense but it did at the time.
                  They're good blanks

Regards
                  Last edited by blutach; 17 Nov 2005, 03:26 PM.
                  Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                  [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• jm1647
                    An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
                    • Apr 2005

@H@x - long winded but you hit the nail on the head.

In the beginning blank VCR tapes were about $15 now they are under a $1. I paid over $850 for my first VCR a JVC-7650U. Most VCR's today are well under a $100 now.

DVD burners were out of sight a few years ago and now in the roughly $40 - $50 range. Same thing with the DVD and CD media. 30 to 40 cents for a quality DVD and around 15 to 20 cents for a for a good CD. The thing that got to me was when they put out the blank music CD's with a kickback to the music industry. I am suprised they never came out with a movie DVD

Every time a protection method has been put out to stop backing up of media from the old Commodore64 5 1/4" floppies, VHS tapes to DVD media with macrovision, ARccOS etc. someone breaks the protection somehow or another and backups are made. And this will continue on and on into infinity.

Comment

• dazedandconfuse
                      • Oct 2005

I am really tired of this, I have 4 kids 12, 9, 3, and 1 the first day we got the spykids movie my 3yr old stepped on it and broke it. And these bozos want me to shell out another 20 bucks? I dont think so. Anyone with kids knows what I mean, If they made these disks out of indestructible stuff then it would be diffrent. I am not out to rent and burn a library, I just dont want to go broke replacing movies thast get destroyed by "accidents"!!!

Comment

• jeo
                        Digital Video Expert
                        Digital Video Expert
                        • Feb 2004

ot
                        dazedandconfuse???
                        i think that i know you from somewhere.
                        if you are the same person you're a great guy,if don't you're welcome in the same way.
                        ot off

sony?
                        oh boys,sony always was little mad.who remeber(H@X ??) the too big size "el cassete",betamax...and lots more trying to build something like "paralel dimension".
                        20 bucks for a new one?
                        Philips have the (copy)rights and will do something,i will!
                        still sending greens(you can't see but can feel)

geriatric rock fan

Comment

• Jack Lurker
                          Oh Bugger! It's bust again!
                          • Jun 2005

I dont think I will be buying any cd's produced by Sony in the future. I'm sure a lot of people will feel the same way after this debacle. The problem they have made for themselves is that more people will now search for their music on P2P networks rather than risk purchasing a disk that may leave you open to a virus. Basically I am saying that I feel that all they have done is encourage people to pirate their music rather than purchase it. I know I wouldnt buy a cd that I couldnt transfer to my iPod or burn a spare copy of to keep in the car. Just my humble opinion.

As Blu says ARccOS is turning out not to be too much of a problem at the moment, although that could change in the future. I actually I dont care how difficult they are to back up I am still going to do any ARccOS disks I purchase just to prove it can be done!!
                          Last edited by Jack Lurker; 18 Nov 2005, 07:20 AM.
                          Jack

The best thing for trees is a bloody big axe! Works for stupidity too!!
                          You have a problem? Search the forums, you 'aint the first person to have your problem thats for sure!!
                          There's a bloke called Blutach here somewhere, check out his signature. Loads of useful info in it!

Comment

Working...