Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Smilin_Jim
    • Aug 2002

In Search of... Authoring Software

I have seen some good posts recommending authoring software, but while I am checking them out, I have a couple of questions. I just got an HP 200i and tried using MyDVD to create an anthology disk of sketches from various comedy DVDs.
    The first thing I noticed was that MyDVD won't let me string these together and make bookmarks between them. I would like it to work like a movie where you can either watch the whole thing or choose a chapter to jump to. Once you jump to the chapter, it plays through the rest of the files. You know, like it had a book mark. FOr some reason, MyDVD doesn't support this. Niether does ArcSoft Showbiz that comes in the bundle. Why? Is this a technical problem or something?
    Do any of the consumer level authoring systems allow this? How about an entry clip that shows before the movie comes up?

Any ideas about an inexpensive package that does this?

Also, is there an editor that is really good at nailing the beginning of a scene? The ones that I have tried so far are either non-interactive (you have to enter the location in bytes!) or very imprecise (the slider is only sort of acurate.) Helpful suggestions are sought.

Thanks
  • slpknt870621345
    • Aug 2002

I don't know if this will really help you do what you're wanting to do or not, but I figure I should just throw this out there for you anyway.... I personally like Spruce Up made by Spruce Technologies. I know for sure that is supports the creation of chapters. The bad part is I think that they don't make it anymore, but you can still find it various places on the net, or on a peer to peer file sharing program such as direct connect. So far the only 2 complaints I have about spruce up are:

1. the menu creation system is a little bit limited. You have to have a button under text (you cant just use text as a button) and some other stupid things like that. But... it does support AC3 Dolby Digital 5.1 (6 channel) audio files. I first started out with DVDIT, by Sonic Sollutions (same people that make you're MY DVD program) I thought it was great... good menu support, easy to use... But.. unfortunatly, I found out that it didn't support the dolby digital 5.1 audio... Infact, their represenative told me that none of their lower end software supported 5.1. So I was not happy about this to say the least... I would rather sacrafice menu quallity for movie quallity.

2. The second complaint is fixable with IFO EDIT. For some reason, Spruce Up will only create movies in the 4:3 aspect ratiio. But like I said, you can easily fix this with IFO EDIT. Just open the IFO file after you compile the project with Spruce Up and change the video atributes from 4.3 to 16:9. (of curse this is assuming that you don't want your project in 4:3)- One warning about this though.... Don't change your Menu Video Atributes to 16:9- leave these at 4:3 or your menu buttons will be all screwed up when you play the project.

I hope this helps you at lease a little.....

Comment

• zerodfence
      • Aug 2002

MYDVD version 3.5 i think supports Chapter points etc.

You may have version 2.5 which does not.

Like mentioned i believe DVDit is alsoa good programme to use for menus etc.

Comment

• Smilin_Jim
        • Aug 2002

Thanks for the feedback.

Yes, I am using 2.5. I will look at Ver. 3 to see the difference.

I am currently playing with Spruce Up to test its capabilities. It is wierd how Apple just seems to have dropped the ball on the product.

Jim

Comment

Working...