Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maggot
    • Jun 2002

creating files over 4G

DVD decrypter's log says my drive C doesn't allow for files over 4Gig to be created. Is there a setting I can change to allow it? I am running Windows XP.
  • zerodfence
    • Aug 2002

Are you useing FAT32 ot NTFS ?

My limited knowledge seems to think with FAT32 this can sometimes cause a problem.

Useing NTFS resolves this problem.

Though NTFS is not friendly to any other drives useing FAT32 as they wont see each other.

So all drives have to be converted to NTFS.

Comment

• maggot
      • Jun 2002

I only have one hard drive in my system and it is FAT32.....how do I convert without having to wipe everything out....

Comment

• zerodfence
        • Aug 2002

You might want to try Partition Magic.

Im not 100% sure that its possible but you may have to Reformat and start again to convert.

Although converting to NTFS seems a bit drastic just to have files bigger than 4GB.

Comment

• maggot
          • Jun 2002

You're right.....it is drastic to have to start from scratch.....I guess I'll just run the multiple M2V's thru ReMpeg2 to get one M2V....Thanks for the help and quick replies.
          Rich

Comment

• vic102482
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • Jan 2002

Command Line: convert d: /fs:ntfs

That is the syntax you will have to use to convert to NTFS, NTFS is only afile system dont be scared of it, you shouldnt lose any data at all, althought it is best to do it when windows is installed. NTFS allows for much larger volume capacity and file size capacity fat32 uses 32 bits or 2 raise /32 power and NTFS uses 64bits the file size limit on NTFS is some rediculous number that I cant say or spell correctly.
            With NTFS you also get file system security so you can keep others from opening your programs or seeing your files even if the icons or executable is on the desktop.

good luck

Comment

• maggot
              • Jun 2002

everything on my hard drive is backed up...so i'll give it a shot.....how exactly do i convert it though.....or did i miss something in the prior post?

Comment

• vic102482
                Platinum Member
                Platinum Member
                • Jan 2002

type this at the command line

convert d: /fs:ntfs

Comment

Working...