Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cplevel42
    • Jun 2002

Primo

So, you can copy a 9 gig store bought DVD on to a 4.7 gig DVD-R with Primo DVD? Primo must compress the 9 gigs to fit on the 4.7 DVD-R. Is this correct, or did I miss something? Or did u mean that u could copy a smaller single layered DVD with Primo after removing macrovision if there is any at all?
    cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• zerodfence
      • Aug 2002

I meant that you can copya DVD smaller than 4.7gb. I have not come across anything that can copy a straight 9gb disc to a 4.7gb disc. The only way is to do the whole compression thingy and the ripping and the removing of extras and the.......might as well go buy the DVD, you get a nice box to go with it

Comment

• cplevel42
        • Jun 2002

I agree!

I agree with you on buying the DVD at the store if its too much hassle to copy. Its nice to have the original.

The straight copy to 4.3 gig DVD-R also works with Nero Burning Rom (latest version) Just put in the original, then slap in the DVD-R and click on "copy DVD" and 15 minutes later, an exact copy. Now we just need a program to do the same thing with the long movies but with a little compression. But I guess that would take all of the fun out of it.
        cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• zerodfence
          • Aug 2002

Will tell you whats fun. Converting DV footage to DVD. Still struggling with this one. Used Adobe Premiere to edit Home movie then useing the LSX plugin to convert to MPEG2, then useing DVDIT to do menues etc

The problem i had was the quality on the TV once burned to DVD. When the picyure moved u got the good old jaggered lines across the screen. I tried Variuos methods of encoding the MPEG2 but nothing worked well on the TV.

So no i have resorted to outputing from Premiere as pure AVI (40mins took 55gb of space) then useing BBMPEG to convert to MPEG2 but reducing the frame size from 720x576 to 352x288. No watching that encode is riverting stuff. I have a Athlon1900 and 1gb of ram and it still took an age.

If you know of a better way so that the vid is a good quality on the TV im all ears.

Comment

• cplevel42
            • Jun 2002

I can help!

I had the same problem as you when converting DV to DVD-R, but got it figured out. I too use premiere (6.0). Premiere is all that you will need to get a perfect mpeg2 thats ready for DVD-R.

I use Ulead DVD workshop for menus. I'll post details step by step later tonight when I get home from work. I have to help my brother move after that, so it won't be until late, but I'll remember to do it for sure. I can rember what a pain that was to figure out. Took me days!!!
            cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• zerodfence
              • Aug 2002

Thanks for any input you may have. Maybe it will be quicker and better than my way.

Useing Premiere 6 also but no matter what codec for LSX was used it never played back on the TV correctly (PAL)

I was wondering if there are extra LSX plugins avaliable, rather than the settings that come with it.

Also if theres a better way than useing pure AVI and avoiding a 55gb file. Although i have a 120gb drive its still a pain.

Will await your input. Cheers

Comment

• cplevel42
                • Jun 2002

Step By Step!

Sorry I'm late on this, but here goes!

Must be followed in this exact order!

After You have your timeline rendered, go to file>Export Timeline>Movie. After clicking on "movie" your export movie box comes up.

At this point choose where you want the movie saved to. Then, go to the bottom of the export movie box and click on settings. Your export movie settings box comes up.

In the upper left hand corner under "general" you will see a drop down menu for: File Type. Microsoft DV AVI is chosen by default. Change this to: Microsoft AVI using the drop down menu select.

In the upper left hand corner you will see a drop down menu with "general" as the default. This needs to be changed to "video" After doing this, you will have a new drop down menu appear under that says "compressor" This is where you will choose your compressor. For good quality I use Intel Indeo 4.5. Experiment with these to see what you like. There is a DVix option for ultra small files as well. There are 10 compressors to choose from, so do some experiments on small really small files.

After choosing your compressor, choose your pixel aspect ratio from its drop down menu in the lower right hand corner. DV NTSC (0.9) is the default. Change this to the PAL setting.

Next, you will need to change your fram rate for PAL. NTSC is 29.97 frames per second. PAL is 25 Frames per second. So make this change using the drom down menu in the lower left hand corner.

Next, click ok. This brings you back to the export movie screen where you will click on save. The movie will start exporting to the settings that you have chosen. Long movie take a couple of hours depending on your processor speed.

Hope this helps. Let me know if it worked OK for you.
                cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• cplevel42
                  • Jun 2002

See my previous post!

I forgot to mention - When the microsoft AVI is completed from premiere, then encode to mpg2 with TMPGEnc. It is free for the 1st 30 days and $48.00 after that. This is the best encoder for the money.

If you need any help with the settings, let me know.

Click here to download http://www.tmpgenc.net/e_main.html
                  cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• zerodfence
                    • Aug 2002

Thanks for the info. This is dam close to what i am doing. Instead of useing the Indego 4.5 thingy, which i agree is prob the best compressor in there to do DVD, still didnt work to well on the TV after burning to DVD.

So i used Uncompressed, IE NONE in the drop down box, leaving video size at 720 x 576. This as you can imagine creates one hell of a large file. For 40 odd mins of Vid came to about 55GB.

Then useing BBMpeg (AVI to MPEG2) convert video to 352 x 288 and adjust the sound to 128kb. This produced an MPEG file of 700mb, considering it was org 55gb, think that is dam good.

Then just create the movie in DVDitPe and burn to DVD. This i found worked perfect on the TV. Granted i would have liked the quality to be closer to DVD, but hey, we cant have it all.

With the rest of the video encoded and various sound and picture files, i created a Wedding DVD with just enough room on the DVD.

If you know of a better way, IE doesnt take as long to Encode, because effectivley you are doing it twice, then let me know.
                    Last edited by zerodfence; 2 Sep 2002, 04:42 PM.

Comment

• cplevel42
                      • Jun 2002

Better Way

There is a better way to do the whole thing with 1 program. If you don't need to add fancy transitions, try using Ulead DVD workshop. These are the steps using Workshop.

1. Capture from camcorder straight to DVD ready mpeg2.
                      2. Edit movie
                      3. add menus
                      4. Burn to DVD-R

That simple, and all with 1 program. The quality is very good as well.

Ulead will be adding premiere style transitions to DVD Workshop in the near future, but, Premeire is adding menus and burning capabilities soon, so it may be a wash. Its all about keeping it simple, tons of options, and keeping the process time down.
                      cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• zerodfence
                        • Aug 2002

I like Premiere for its editing capabilities, as my vid needed a lot of it. transitions only rely consisted of a few fades here and there.

DVDit seemed the most straight forward of DVD software for creating Menues etc although not ideal for what i would really like to do, which would be to produce active menues (like you get in a lot of DVD movies nowdays) i am currently examining this possability useing 3d studio Max.

For now though (seeing as its nearly finished) i will stick to the current process as it works, even if it does take a while.

have you used MYDVD3.5 at all ? this is supposed to be the next step, screnist (or what ever its called) is going to take some time to get to grips with.

Bring on 9gb DVD-rs

Comment

• onerose
                          • Nov 2001

hey cplevel42 still picking fights ah (smile dude it looks like every time u post somebody gets, humm lets say agumentative)lol

ps obtw i take dvdcrepiter to rip(40 min), dvd2avi to encode to dv2. (10 min) tpmgenc to get .mpg(12 hr) spurce-up to get vob and burn to dvd (1 1/2 hr) it's a long time but it works (ie lotr 2hr & 54 min movie on 1 4.7 dvd with menu self made and very good quality) it's not exact, but any thing over 115 min wont be
                          Last edited by onerose; 3 Sep 2002, 12:53 AM.

Comment

• cplevel42
                            • Jun 2002

No Argument

onrose, if you look at where zerodfense 1st posted on this thread you will see that it has been friendly between us from the start. He was having diffaculties converting DV to DVD-R, so I told him how I do it. Please go back and read his 1st post to this thread and all of the posts that followed. I have not tried to pick a fight here at all. Isnt that right zerodfense?

If you are talking about setarip earlier in this post, he justs like to be the "digital video overlord" of this forum. There seems to be a predujice against people like like me who prefer to capture video for authoring. Some forum members seem to think that capturing is inferior to ripping. I disagree! Its just another means to an end
                            Last edited by cplevel42; 3 Sep 2002, 04:02 AM.
                            cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• zerodfence
                              • Aug 2002

Thats right Cplevel42, nothing but helpfulness here.

Granted, ive swayed the subject since the original post but hey, its all to do with the same subject.

Thanks for all your help on here, for now im sticking with what works. I look forward to the next Adobe Premiere (if it can do menue etc).

On the ripping thing, i just ripped the basic movie to the HD,then used Flaskmgeg to convert to Mpeg2, then the fav of just useing DVDitPe to creat a Menu (basic). This was i was able to get 2 DVD movies onto 1 4.7gb disc. Quality very watchable. Although took a while to convert Just left running over night, so no big deal.

Comment

• nicktran111467
                                • Aug 2002

Have you guy ever tried Ifoedit? After ripping DVDs into hardware using DVD Decrypter, you can use Ifoedit to split DVD-9s into smaller DVD-5s. Then create an image and burn it back with the same DVD Decrypter. You can find all the info at mpucoder.kewlhair.com/derrow.

Comment

Working...