Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SteamBird505
    • Aug 2002

DVD-r & DVD RE ......Help if U have 1

Yes I have read through the digests but found nothing to help!
    I have bought a Philips DVD +R/RW.
    Using Nero 5.5.9 and /or RecordNow MAX 4 none of these "see" a DVD r disk...I cannot copy "data" files nor will "burned" VCD or SVCD files play on my DVD player. (Toshiba 220E)
    PC World are clueless and cannot help. They told me I should be able to use a DVD -r /rw just like a cd writer.

Anybody got any idea's why I cannot use DVD-R disc's?

I have done the check the drivers and dowload latest bit...

Why is the "+" sign used here ie DVD+R/RW but not on CD-R/RW ?

PC World have exchanged this lot....first a Ricoh 4125 ( I think) would not even start up, swopped for a Philips that was just re-writer, swopped for Memorex DVD+R/RW... useless, swopped for the Philips DVD +R/RW. Its been a busy week ! I have driven back and forth covering 128 miles altogether...at it again at 4.50AM this morning! Need sleep and help......Pleeeeeese.
    What do I need to write PAL VCD /SVCD onto DVD R disc for use on DVD player?
    SB
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"Why is the "+" sign used here ie DVD+R/RW"

DVD-R, DVD+R, and DVD-RAM are three DIFFERENT (incompatible)formats. I believe SONY just recently came out with the FIRST DVD reader capable of reading both DVD-R and DVD+R...

Comment

• DJcool
      • Jul 2002

Re: DVD-r & DVD RE ......Help if U have 1

PC World are clueless and cannot help.
      Thats the usuall story for PC World lol

You need to get DVD+R discs for the philips drive

That new Sony drive looks good , i think its only available in the states at the moment

Comment

• SteamBird505
        • Aug 2002

DVD related probs

Once again..thanks for your help guys.....

I would have thought PC World would have trained their staff enough to know the difference......sorry that was my alter ego taking over....back to reality, I really have looked alll over the "officail" sites like Philips and other sellers... cannot find any defination of types and why...can you point me to a site which will give information and type of use details for DVD variant drives!

I was hoping to make life easy by simply converting to VCD pr SVCD and sticking the reulstant but large files onto a DVD to save chopping them up.
        Meanwhile I seem to have..(with the help of setarip et al on this forum) managed to convert to VCD and chop using TMPGEnc MPEG Tools.
        Although I can do it... I sometime wish I understood what I was doing rather than just follow the guides. Then again I cannot even get Outlook Express to remember my passwords on e-mail accounts!
        Thanks again guys...
        Karen

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...