X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TyN
    • Nov 2002

DVD copy without re-encoding ???

Hi,

I would like to backup my DVD's so I have an exact copy of the movie data. I do not want to re-encode the movie since it is very likely to reduce the quality.

I know how to get all the files off the DVD unencrypted and de-macrovisioned. I have read heaps of guides and FAQs which explain demuxing and re-encoding, but I have seen nothing about doing a simple backup.

What I would like to do is find a piece of authoring software which will import the VOB files I get out of SmartRipper, and allow me to create a basic menu with chapter points I want and then create an ISO image, or write to DVD-R.

Anyone done this? Or know how to do it? Anyone know of authoring software which will import VOBs?

I have looked at Ulead DVD Movie Factory but it doesn't seem to import VOB files.

Thanks
    T
  • crispin
    • Nov 2002

if you demux your video file and sound file with smartripper and then import them to a dvd menu program like spruce up you should not have a problem unless the film is over 1hr 50 mins long (approximately) then you will need to encode it using rempeg. I know it sucks if ya have 2 re-encode it but its the only way!

hope this helps

Comment

• swanside1
      • Jan 2002

Re

You can do a straight copy of a film if it is less than 4.4Gb, otherwise, you need to start removing extra sound laugs and sub from the file, or even reducing the video bitrate.
      I have made a web site which explains best.

Comment

• DVDIdiot
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Oct 2002

Some movies like Jurassic Park 3 has 7.75G and when I strip off the extra audio, I was able to fit it into 1dvdr. Some movies that has 5G, but cannot fit into 1dvdr. So it depends on what they have and how many audio they have on it.

Now you can get 100 dvdr for aroun 80 cents each so why spend 20 hrs trying to rempg. Anyway, happy thanksgiving everyone
        DVD Step-by-Step Guides
        http://dvdplanet.fateback.com

Comment

Working...