Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • deadphish
    • Dec 2002

LOTR: 2 Towers converting TMDcopy to VCD Help

I have an actual working copy of Lord of the Rings : The Two Towers created by TMD Moviez, but have not yet been able to convert this to a mpg for VCD or any format for that matter?Please pardon my lack of complete statistics and or screenshots, as I am just sitting here at work bored stiff as 90% are on vacation, and thought I would ask to see if anyone has actually had any success with this thus far. From my memory however, I can tell you that virtual dub reads the file as encoded at 12.5fps with 24000hz audio encoded with Divx 5.02 codec. Audio reads as an mpg layer 3. Again please pardon the lack of complete info, but I just wanted to toss this one out there to see where others were thus far with this file. TempENG reports the framerate as being too low, and states it will automatically adjust this, which it does in a 23fps format. Furthermore, even if this can be converted to an mpg to vcd, would it even look good enough to play on a dvd player with such a low framerate? Thank you to all for your time in reading this post, I look forward to read any posts that are left.

Thanks again,

josh the 2 week newbie
  • gd_nimrod
    • Nov 2002

"but have not yet been able to convert this to a mpg for VCD or any format for that matter?"

Is that a question, or are you stating the fact that you have been unable to convert it in TMPGenc?

"even if this can be converted to an mpg to vcd, would it even look good enough to play on a dvd player with such a low framerate?"

I'm assuming your asking whether it will look good with the new framerate, and the answer is it will look reasonable. Also, it depends on the resolution of the movie, but since i know your copy to be a "cam rip", it will look bad quality on your pc screen, but if you manage to convert it to vcd, you should be able to view it quite nicely
    Did you know you can SEARCH the forum? Fixes common problems too:
    http://forum.digital-digest.com/search.php

Also search on the whole Digital-Digest website:
    http://www.digital-digest.com/search.html

Comment

• deadphish
      • Dec 2002

Thank you for the information, that was the glimmer of hope I was hoping to hear All of your assumptions were correct at that point yesterday, however, while I was at work, I had it working once again. I had been following the dvd2svcd guide to a tee, including virtual dub, and re-extracting the avi, to yet another avi file which I think was part of my problem. So this time, I just ran it straight from dvd2svcd and tried encoding this time as a svcd instead of a vcd just to see if my resulting output file was different. I "believe" everything went ok with the extraction, but I did see one bump in the road, but I don't think it hurt the process. Following the besweet audio extraction which went as shown:

Converting Audio to MP2. Filename: F:\mpegs\Extracted_audio_1.mpa
      Executing BeSweet. Commandline:
      "C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\BeSweet\BeSweet.exe" -core( -input "F:\mpegs\Encoded_audio_1.mp2.wav" -output "F:\mpegs\Encoded_audio_1.mp2" -logfile "F:\mpegs\Encoded_audio_1.log" ) -ota( -g max -r 23976 12500 ) -ssrc( --rate 48000 ) -2lame( -e -b 224 -m s )

There then was an error saying besweet.exe had encountered an illegal operation and will be closed. I think this was just an issue with windows2000 shutting down the ms dos window it opened because in the dvdsvcd status window it shows

Audio conversion of F:\mpegs\Extracted_audio_1.mpa finished.

This file did actually play audio all the way through as I scanned through it, so I can only assume that it worked. But after the process finished, instead of an mpeg file, I have encoded mpv and mp2 files, but it never meshed those into an mpeg file? I am pretty sure i had all of the settings in dvd2svcd set correctly, so I don't know if the error that occured with the audio extraction botched this area up. So with the files it created, the .tpr file that was created as the video file, and the audio file Encoded_audio_1.mp2.wav file that was created, I now have tmpGenc saving these files as my .mpg.

I will know in about 5 hours if it worked, I'll be sure to post should it work. I'll be awfully happy if it does, but I still wonder why the conversion to mpeg2 from dvd2svcd did not occur? My output file was set as an mpg2 file, but it never happened... Any clues on this one? Everything appeared to run ok with the merge, the log shows

Executing RunbbMPEG. Commandline:
      "C:\Program Files\DVD2SVCD\bbMPEG\RunbbMPEG.exe" "F:\mpegs\bbMPEG_Muxed_File.mpg"
      Multiplexing and cutting finished.

CD-Image creation finished.

No errors or anything to that effect, so it seems as if the mpg file should be there. Possibility the besweet.exe error had a large part of this? It has essentially doubled the time that it has taken to this this one disc, but at this point, I will be happy with any success by any means! Thanks again for all of your help, hopefully I'll be able to give some one else a hand a little down the road... Still learning, and having fun doing it.
      Last edited by deadphish; 29 Dec 2002, 07:24 AM.

Comment

• gd_nimrod
        • Nov 2002

Glad you converted the movie, and glad to help
        As for the svcd that you created out of LOTR TTT rip, how's the quality on that? I would recommend that you convert it to mpeg-1 (vcd) instead to get better quality (only better quality becuase its already a low resolution movie).

"So this time, I just ran it straight from dvd2svcd and tried encoding this time as a svcd instead of a vcd just to see if my resulting output file was different."

Did you encode it to svcd this time because the last time you tried vcd didn't work, or because you wanted to experiment and look at how the quality was if it was an svcd? I think you'll notice a big change in quality if you stick with vcd for this rip.

As for the error in BeSweet, it *might* be the fact that your audio is in 48000 Hz... "F:\mpegs\Encoded_audio_1.log" ) -ota( -g max -r 23976 12500 ) -ssrc( --*******rate 48000****** ) -2lame( -e -b 224 -m s )
        It's worth experimenting because i know some programs like TMPGenc can't process audio in 48000 Hz, they crash just like BeSweet did for you.

Try opening up VDub, selecting you video file(s), selecting audio->conversion= 41000Hz, leave the rest as it is.
        Then in audio->compression select=no compression[pcm] and save wav.

Then try the same as before in Besweet. Let me know how it goes

Comment

• deadphish
          • Dec 2002

Sorry for the slow follow up to your latest reply, both myself and the cpu have been busy! Well, to answer your question, yes I did try to convert to svcd just because the initial vcd conversion didn't quite work out. I believe it created all of the data, however it never meshed it all together as one big mpeg file. So, I ended up totally bypassing dvdsvcd and instead running straight out of TMPGenc and set the audio to convert from 48000 to 41000, and everything worked like a charm. The SVCD file did turn out very choppy, but after creating the next in VCD format with Simple color correction, advanced motion detection, and smoothing, the file actually looks pretty darn good. The audio is far and away the worst feature, but that isn't really a suprise. It isn't hideous, but it is flattering to the movie either, but being a huge audio fan as I am, this would naturally be the area that I critique with the most scrutiny. But in any event, I have successfully converted all files, and feel I have a much better understanding of the way several of these processes work. I'm sorry if this should have been originally posted in the newbies section, in all honesty, that is probably where it belonged. But my many many thanks go out to you for lending me a hand, hopefully I will be able to do the very same for others in the future as I keep soaking up as much of this fun stuff as possible.

Take care and have a wonderful New Year!

josh

Comment

• gd_nimrod
            • Nov 2002

"Take care and have a wonderful New Year! "

Same to you

Comment

Working...