Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mgolobay
    • Dec 2001

Authoring Software

Well, I have come to the conclusion that any authoring tool that comes bundled with a DVD burner is total garbage. To prevent frustration and wasted time, I would reccommed putting their installation disc in the microwave for at least 1 minute.

Ulead VideoStudio 4 and 5 is has the most obnoxious user interface I've seen since the days of some terrible thing called MovieStar that came with a piece of trash USB digital capture device called "Dazzle". I set it up to produce an MPG, wait three hours, and then be rewarded for my efforts with some sort of error message.

MGI VideoWave that came with my IBM DVD-RAM drive has problems, but its a back level version. In MGIsoft's infinite wisdom, their update/patch packages are targetted at specific versions with mine not being supported. MGI says IBM needs to get a newer version, IBM doesn't know what they're talking about, and I throw the install disc out into the street.

Sonic MyDVD that came with my HP DVD burner seems clean, but very very stark. Not many features since its the bottom of the line in their authoring tool ranks.

So...... what is the best DVD authoring and MPG editing suite under $500? Does anyone know of a nice MPG editor on its own? If I had a decent editor anywhere, I could just drop the finished MPG into MyDVD and burn.

Any help will be greatly appreciated.
  • jemby
    • Jan 2002

The SE version of DVDit is ok($299) The major difference between it and PE version is dolby support. Oh yea also 16:9 support.

There is also SpruceUP fairly basic though only 129$.
    Last edited by jemby; 17 Jan 2002, 09:20 AM.

Comment

• omarh
      • Nov 2001

I have DVDit PE and it sucks.
      It crashes a lot, and gives "unknown error" messages when it does..which are totally useless.

I'd say Windows98 is far superior to it in terms of reliability...

amazing eh

Comment

• Areku
        • Dec 2001

OK then, since DVD ripping and/or reauthoring is a fact,

I'd like to know what YOU guys use to author new DVDs from another one, or at least what do you suggest??

One just just gave me a DVD with BOTH Shrek and Phantom Menace in it. In DVD format!! With selection menus!!

I forgot to ask him what did he use and I cant contact him anymore

Ideas? Suggestions? Pricing?

Comment

• omarh
          • Nov 2001

Well you can easily rip movies with smartripper...
          but i haven't found anything that will let me take the original 5.1 AC3's and mv2 files and author a new DVD. DVDit doesn't accept 5.1 channel AC3...and Ulead's MovieFactory only accepts muxed mpeg's

By the way, DvdIT crashes a lot, but it does work...you just have to keep saving your work...
          and there are some AC3 files it doesn't like...
          so convert everything to WAV files (audio) and it doesn't crash so much with those

Comment

• jemby
            • Jan 2002

DVD Junior & DVD wise will keep the 5.1 ac3 and let you author. You can link directly to vob files, not neccesary to de-mux. If you are trying to fit a movie onto one dvd look at the ifoedit posts. You can do it without any dvd authoring software. You could also use Spruceup, which will allow you to use the 5.1 also, but it doesn't have 16:9 support and you have to de-mux, although you can shoehorn it by editing the IFO file after you author it to harddisk(for 16:9 mode using ifoedit).

Comment

• levendis
              • Jan 2002

Originally posted by Areku
              I'd like to know what YOU guys use to author new DVDs from another one, or at least what do you suggest??
              Well, I just got my system up and running this week, but after trying almost every app available for download I've been using DVD Decrypter, IfoEdit, and VOB Instant CD/DVD, with absolutely no problems. It couldn't be simpler, and they play wonderfully on my $85 Apex 1500.
              I've already made seven DVDs...

Comment

• Areku
                • Dec 2001

So, then, name the software that would support AC3 Dobly 5.1, 16:9 and the creation of interactive menus!

Thanks!

Comment

• jemby
                  • Jan 2002

DVDMaestro, ReelDVD, DVDWise, DVDJunior, and Scenarist. Spruceup supports 5.1, but you have to hack the ifo to get the 16:9. DVDit PE supports 16:9, but only 2 channel dolby.

DVDwise, DVDjunior, and mydvd 3.0 support working with vob files.

Comment

• chulo100
                    • Feb 2002

If you really want the best software used by Hollywood studios to create DVDs get DVD Studio Pro. It comes with all the tools and toys you can dream.
                    AC3 Creator, Sub title creator, Suport of ac3, motion menues, multi language, etc, etc. I use it and there is nothing that comperares to it. All you need id the digital video from your DV camara, or the .M2V files from a DVD and the program would even encode the DV to DVD and burn it at the same time. You can make and burn a DVD Hollywood movie in about 20 min.

Comment

• Areku
                      • Dec 2001

I thought Scenarist WAS the Hollywood tool... I read it on a tutorial at Doom9.org

Can any1 confirm this?

I want to create the BEST output possible...

Also, do you guys know which software was used to do the 3d animated transitions on PAL DVDs like The Mummy Returns or Abyss?

I assume it's 3DStudio stuff output as MPEG and then inserted back into the menus?

Comment

• Anthony
                        • Feb 2002

Big $$$'s for DVD

Doesn't DVD Audio Pro cost like $1,000.00?

Comment

• chulo100
                          • Feb 2002

I know it cost about $800 but is the best. I use it to create DVDs for Fox, Sony and Universal Studios. If you have the means to get it I highly recommended.

Comment

• D_75
                            • Dec 2001

My experience so far

I've been playing the "Find the good DVD Authoring Software" game for about 3 weeks now. The first one I came across was DVDit PE 2.5. Things that catch my eye are features and ease of use....anyway, DVDit seems somewhat simple, and it didn't crash, but I never really sat down with it much because it was missing something that I wanted...Interactive menus.

I then managed to get ahold of Roxio's Videopack 5. If you get this program, grab a notepad, and prepare to take notes. The documentation included is very lackluster, and I still have no idea how to work the damn thing. The good part is that it does allow you to create interactive menues....if you can figure out how to do it on your own. It doesn't support Surround sound. The help file sucks.

If I had the money, I would get DVD studio pro, but that would take more time for me (being so unfamiliar with Mac's)...by they way, they didn't mention that DVD Studio Pro is on a mac. I would love to use it though. And yes..it does cost a cool grand ($).

The two options left that I've found would be the $500 bundle from Pinnacle (Software only), and Sonic's Scenarist (which probably around 1,500 to 2,000, but I can't remember).

Does anyone know anything about the Pinnacle setup?

Comment

• mgolobay
                              • Dec 2001

I too gave VideoPack 5 a try. I was initially very excited about it since it was abole to read scene editing information in the VRO file on DVD-RAM written by my Panasonic DMR-E20. I thought I had an easy way to transfer stuff recorded at the entertainment center to the computer. But, it can't handle the Dolby AC3 audio and methods to decode, demux, convert, remux and otherwise Quisinart the data were long and tiresom and heavily dependent on a few stuffy 'experts' who only answer email if they're in a really wierd mood.

I still have VideoPack 5 and use it now and then. Yes the online help is dismal. They seem to have gotten all excited about including that stupid audio narrative and forgot all about real content. I did finally figure out how to use the annoying frame editor thingy to clip a scene.

All in all, its an okay package but could really use better format conversion tools. It seems to be a rather bleak tool aimed at the garden variety absolute beginner. Drag the video file in and burn. You can make very exotic scene button arrangements but forget about playing with frames per second, resolution, bitrate, codecs, etc. etc. From what I've seen, its $500 price tag is completely outrageous.

Comment

Working...