Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hagi_complex
    • Jun 2003

Instant f***ing Disc

Good day forum users. Apologies if this thread is misplaced, but I'm desperate for somebody to point me in the right direction regarding problems I'm having with DVD burning.

I recently bought a rebadged NEC 1001A DVD+R drive (some French company, can't remember the name at the moment ) and the software bundle included what appears to be a relatively old version of VOB's Instant Disc.

My problem is this: when I insert either a blank CD-R, CD-RW or DVD+R to burn on to, the damn program tells me 'Device Not Ready'. This is with every burn once media - top brands, unbranded, the works! Even the free blanks I got with the drive!! The only thing I can get to work with the program are Philips DVD+RW discs that I had to completely erase (even though they were blank) with Instant Disc first. This took a crazy amount of pressing 'retry' and strategic opening and closing of the tray, as initially I was getting a 'Device Not Ready' message with these as well. Now they work every time.

Now, I know for a fact that my drive is working okay, as I have burned both CD-R and CD-RW with WMP & Steinberg Master Unit and also VCDs with Pinnacle Studio 8. All work fine. I have also burned ISO files to DVD+R and DVD+RW with DVD Decrypter and these are fine too.

Has anyone had this problem with said program or is it possible that I'm missing something really obvious here? I've had a look in the options/preferences of the program but nothing seems to relate to what is happening to me.

Any help, thoughts or theories as to what might be wrong would be greatly appreciated. Getting info from the official site is like getting blood from a stone. I don't have any other software that handles DVD burning, and I'd rather try to get Instant Disc working before I shell out for another package, although this is looking increasingly likely.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Have you tried playing a commercial DVD on the burner? Some require this as a first step in your system properly recognizing the burner...

Comment

• hagi_complex
      • Jun 2003

Yes, I've played plenty of commercial discs in the player without a problem.

Looks like I'm gonna cut my losses with Instant Disc - a decent package will be a small price to pay to keep my sanity.

Comment

Working...