X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

Menus Unstable After Authoring

After authoring with DVDlab and playing in PowerDVD, some of my menus, maybe 10% of them, become unstable. Parts of the unstable menus, sometimes up to 1/3 of the screen, flicker or bounce back and forth between parts of other menus. After re-authoring or re-loading, it is usually the same menus exhibiting the problem, but not always, and the amount of instability changes each time I open the menu. A low resolution screen shot is attached that gives a sense of what I mean. You will see at the bottom pieces of two other menus. When the DVD is playing, they alternate and flicker, but when I hit pause they stand still, as in the screen shot. Has anyone seen this problem before? Any advice on how to fix it or avoid it would be greatly appreciated.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by megamachine; 4 Aug 2003, 02:06 PM.
  • Oriphus
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Aug 2003

Try using TMPGEnc DVD Author to create your menus:

http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• megamachine
      Video Fiddler
      • Mar 2003

Thanks, I have used TMPGEnc DVD Author for other projects, but I find the design and layout options to be too limited for my needs, and so I prefer the flexibility of DVDlab. I was just wondering if anyone else had this problem before, with DVDlab or any other authoring program. It`s kind of strange, since the instability is not consistent, and in fact sometimes the menus work fine with no problems, while other times the area of the flickering is much less than in the screen shot I attached to the original message. Anyway, thanks for reading this and I hope for some other advice.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

1) Does this "flickering" effect manifest itself if you play the burned DVD on a standalone DVD?

2) Does this "flickering" effect manifest itself during the playback of the movie as well?

3) Have you tried using a different software DVD player?

Comment

• megamachine
          Video Fiddler
          • Mar 2003

Thanks for replying.

1) Does this "flickering" effect manifest itself if you play the burned DVD on a standalone DVD?

I have not tried this yet, but will report when I have a chance.

2) Does this "flickering" effect manifest itself during the playback of the movie as well?

No, only on certain still menus and not always in the same way.

3) Have you tried using a different software DVD player?

Yes, and instead of flickering there is a green area in the menu.

With best wishes.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Now that you've described it further, this is almost certainly a bug in the DVDLab menu process (or, an EXTREMELY remote possibility, your videocard having aproblem handling still frames of exceedingly bright colors).

Why don't you send "Oscar" (the author/publisher) an email describing the problem? - particularly referencing those menu groups that exhibit this behaviour.

Comment

• megamachine
              Video Fiddler
              • Mar 2003

Thanks Setarip, it probably is a bug, since I never had this sort of problem with any other projects. I`ll send a message to Oscar.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Thanks Setarip"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...