Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mdtplus4
    • Jul 2003

Video and Audio sync problem

When I capture video in avi or mpg format the farther into the video the worst the video/audio sync problem gets. It doesn't matter what program I use to capture, I always get the same results. I have formatted and reinstalled everything a couple of times in the past year (I like to start over from time to time).

So my question is, is it my processor or capture card?
    Or could it be something else all together?
  • Oriphus
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Aug 2003

This is usually to do with a change in video format from PAL to NTSC or vice versa. If the video gets progressively more out of sync with the audio, there aint much you can do. However, if it is a constant difference, which you dont think it is, then you could patch it up in virtual Dub.

The NTSC to PAL and vice versa scenario is the most common one, but not the only one. Is the ATI 7500 series your capture card?
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• mdtplus4
      • Jul 2003

Yes, I use the ATI 7500 64 meg card for capturing. I'm capturing from NTSC to NTSC. I'm in the USA capturing from local cable tv.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To mdtplus4

Try initially capturing the audio as Uncompressed PCM (.WAV). Doing so will maintain synchronization of audio and video. Although this will initially add as much as 1Gb to your .AVI filesize, you can then use VirtualDub (or one of its variants) to compress the audio to .MP3 format...

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• mdtplus4
          • Jul 2003

Not to be unthankful, but can someone answer my question.

I use to capture everything in avi format and then convert to mpg using Vdub and TMPEGnc and all that. I just don't have time for all that. I use all-in-one programs for the most part now. And I like DVD Decrypter & Nero for ripping DVDs.

Thanks guys

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"Not to be unthankful, but can someone answer my question."

Not to be "pushy" but, what I've suggested to you (based on your system) will add, AT MOST 15 minutes to your process...

Comment

• mdtplus4
              • Jul 2003

I appreciate your giving me a work around for my problem but I'm not looking for that. I just want to know if it's my processor or capture card causing the sync problem.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"I just want to know if it's my processor or capture card causing the sync problem."

It is a problem you'll encounter with virtually ANY processor and ANY capture card, if you attempt to capture the audio in ANY compressed format - and multiplex "on the fly"...

(Perhaps another poster can provide you with differing information - including suggesting that you also capture the video with a "lossless" video codec, such as the HuffyUV codec)
                Last edited by setarip; 6 Aug 2003, 03:32 PM.

Comment

Working...