Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Scraggle
    • Aug 2003

When is 4.7Gb/120 min NOT 4.7Gb/120 min

Firstly forgive me if you have read this already. It was originaly posted on the PCFormat forum but it was recommended to me that I try here instead - so here I am.

Could anyone help me please?

I am trying to get a home movie from my analogue camcorder onto a DVD with little success.

I have transferred the movie onto the hard drive by connecting the camera to the VIVO on my graphics card and using 'Showshifter' as my software of choice.

I now have a movie file on my Hard drive which is playable in 'Windows Media Player'. It is 1,040,744 KB and runs for 1hr 13mins.

With my DVD Recorder (I forget the model number but it is the Sony that records in all formats) I received a copy of 'Sonic My DVD' which seems to be the software I would need to burn the movie onto DVD. However, when I put my movie into the software it claims there is not enough room to fit it on the disc!

By my calculation it should take up around a quarter of the disc as a data file or just over half of it as a movie. I have tried different discs but I get the same result. So in a word I am flumoxed!

Can anyone please tell me why my movie won't fit on a DVD and how I can get around the problem.

Thank you.
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

not sure how to fix your problem I dont think, but more than likely your DVD burner is a Sony DVD+RW/+R/-RW/-R DRU-510A

Comment

• forx
      • Aug 2003

im not sure what format ur movie is in but sonic isnt that bright (is it a demo?)anyway,try some different progs,prassi primo,etc.

Comment

• megamachine
        Video Fiddler
        • Mar 2003

As a beginner, I've been very happy with Pegasys softwares for this job: TMPGEnc and TMPGEnc DVD Author. Both are available for free trials and very inexpensive to purchase. They are much better than MyDVD, and worth it if you are doing more projects.

Comment

• Scraggle
          • Aug 2003

Thanks! I downloaded the trial version of TMPGEnc but I am still getting the same problem. I know the size of my video should fit onto a DVD but TMPEGEnc claims that the encoded video will take 170.29% of a DVD.
          I am finding all this very confusing. If anyone can tell me how to get a movie onto a DVD I will be a very happy man but right now I am just frustrated!

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

To Scraggle

If you've now successfully used "TMPGEnc" to create your DVD-compatible files, the next steps are:

1) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to author your oversized DVD (You can easily create menus and chapters) - Choose "continue" (or "Yes") in response to messages advising that the size is excessive

2) Use "DVD Shrink" to compress the DVD "package" authored by "TMPGEnc DVD Author"

3) Use NERO, in "DVD-Video" mode, to burn - Make certain to place ALL DVD-related files (.IFOs, .BUPs, .VOBs) into the RED "VIDEO_TS" folder

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• Scraggle
              • Aug 2003

Thanks - I'll give it a go and let you know.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Thanks - I'll give it a go and let you know."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• Scraggle
                  • Aug 2003

I gave it a go and now I'll let you know. It worked a treat - thanks a lot.
                  I had a little trouble downloading DVD Shrink (I kept being told that I had 'unauthorized access to this site') whatever that means? But I got there in the end.

So thanks again. It isn't often that forums give you the answers you need, it's a bit like chinese whispers - one thread goes slightly off track the next a little further and so on until people are answering things that have nothing to do with the original thread.

But here I became a member and got my first question answered perfectly! So I like it here I think I might stay a while.

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"It worked a treat - thanks a lot."

Glad to hear of your success and, as always, my pleasure ;>}

Comment

Working...