Has anyone heard of a dual layer DVD-R recorder in development?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MasteRX
    • Jan 2002

Has anyone heard of a dual layer DVD-R recorder in development?

Subject says it all. I was wondering if they will come out with one eventally, or if it is even possible. Thanks

-Ryan
  • vic102482
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Jan 2002

no i cant even see that hitting the home market

Dual sided dvds have to be burned as 2 seperate disks and then glued together at the factory and it is extremly delecate (the transparent disk) and to have a machine that could do that would at the very least be the size of a large desktop computer

Comment

• Damian
      • Jan 2002

confused

vic, your answer confused me...to my understanding the dual layer is laser related, so the machine needed to produce the dual-layer disk is actually the same size as a normal dvd burner but contains the ability to do both lasers...one laser does the 'normal' depth data writing and the second laser does the '2nd layer' depth data writing

Comment

• omarh
        • Nov 2001

No, highly unlikely.
        They're already using a trick involving the way standalone players play back dual layer discs...

Comment

• Areku
          • Dec 2001

omarh,

Don't all the players play already double layer media?

vic,

He said DOUBLE LAYER, no DOUBLE SIDE!

Comment

• omarh
            • Nov 2001

Yes of course, all standalone DVD players can play dual layer discs. its part of the standard.
            I read an article that explained the DVD-R mechanism, and without going into the details since i don't remember them anyway, it uses the fact that standalone players can play dual layer discs!!! so it would be quite impossible to have a dual layer DVD-R because the "dual layer" is already used up....
            Just go look up DVD-R and read an article about how it works...you know with the cute pictures showing the grooves and stuff...

Comment

• vic102482
              Platinum Member
              Platinum Member
              • Jan 2002

oops.....my bad lol

im sorry about that dual LAYERED disks are really two seperatly burned disk the first is a tranparent layer and the second is a solid layer, the dvd player can focus the beam to shine through the tranparent layer to hit the solid layer or soften its beam to hit the transparent layer so thats why you have your 9.4 dual layered dvd disk you can tell if a movie is dual vs. single by looking at the disk gold colored is dual and silver is single, and they probvably wont have a dual layered dvd-r becuase the way that the disk is manufactured is very complicated and on top of that it all takes place INSIDE of one machine so imean it really woundt be practical at all.

Comment

• KickYoAss
                • Mar 2002

Braveheart = Silver = 9.? gigs. Couldn't possibly be single layer. There are several others that are silver, and dual layer, and of course, there are a lot that are actually gold. It's guaranteed to be dual layer if it's gold, but you'll not know for sure that it's single layered, until you pop it into your pc's dvd drive.

The laser doesn't soften, its angle is adjusted, or just refocused. I don't see how, someday, someone couldn't make a dual layered dvdr. The burning laser focuses just right so it's only burning the layer closes to the top of the dvdr first, which would possibly burn through some of the 2nd layer. Then the laser can continue onto the 2nd layer. Only time will tell, so, wait, and wait....and wait.............

Comment

• vic102482
                  Platinum Member
                  Platinum Member
                  • Jan 2002

yeah yeah yeah

adusted lol focused who wants to get all technical that joint was written about a month and a half ago bro. and to get all technical dual layed dvds are created as two sprerate disks then glued together. and to get all technical so i wont be corrected next time they arent glued together per say but bonded through a special heating process. there is no technology that can "focus" a beam to burn dual layed dvds.

lol i know all this and all i do is smoke weed all day

Comment

• Deepa DVD
                    SuperDuperDVD Productions
                    • Mar 2002

I don't know why somebody can't come up with a dual layer dvd-burner cuz there is already a double-density cd-r burner available to consumers by Sony Corp.
                    Last edited by Deepa DVD; 15 Apr 2002, 09:43 AM.

Comment

• onerose
                      • Nov 2001

what about this, a way to split the vob's on to two disks and keep the file's format so that side 1 is done you can go to side 2 sounds simple yes!! , now make it work, easyer said than done
                      this would end a lot of problems with the price of dvd-r 's dropping

Comment

• vic102482
                        Platinum Member
                        Platinum Member
                        • Jan 2002

u can do that

to put a movie on more than one dvd can and has been done, but we are all too lazy to keep swapping

Comment

• rudybob
                          • Apr 2002

How is this done and where are the programmes that allow this,i have been trying to get a dual layer DVD film which only has 1hr32 mins and basically the rest is wasted on the making of etc etc which i know some people like i do as well but when backing up a film i only want the film that can fit on DVD r Basically ive tried everything i found a dummy file maker programme which puts the files there but when running the burn programme it comes up with errors in otherwords if i burn that lot to disc it wont work as the IFO file is looking for the file sits programmed with so HOW do you split a DVD then would be interesting to see

Comment

• vic102482
                            Platinum Member
                            Platinum Member
                            • Jan 2002

you are going the wrong way with t he ifo stuff, it may work......ive tired and failed, rip it to your harddrive convert to mpeg 2 and the rest is easy as cake make it into a "home dvd" get my drift

Comment

• troylb
                              • Oct 2003

Actually, dual layer (DVD9) is possible and and is scheduled for release in 2004 in dvd+r format. It is only a matter of time before dvd-r releases a version of the same thing.

Philips and Mitsubishi Kagaku Media have managed to achieve something that most people who knew something about technical specifications of DVD discs had considered to be, ...

Comment

Working...