Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • levendis
    • Jan 2002

DVD-R brand?

First off, I want to thank everyone here for all the advice. I just registered so that I can post, but I've been reading this forum for a couple of weeks, and believe that I am extremely close to successfully copying a DVD...
    Which leads to my question: How much does the brand of the medium (the DVD-R) matter to its compatibility with a standalone player? I finally thought I had a system down perfect, following to the letter the directions at doom9 for copying just the main movie (http://www.doom9.org/mpg/ifoedit-menustripping.htm) and Derrow's guide for burning a DVD (http://mpucoder.kewlhair.com/Derrow/nero.html), and burned a copy of Casablanca.
    It will play automatically in the drive that I burned it in using both WinDVD and PowerDVD, but it will not play in my DVD-ROM, and it will not play in my Sony DVP-NS300, wich is supposed to be able to play DVD-Rs. I am using a Panasonic LF-D310 to burn.

Is the problem that I am using incompatible disks (10 for $48 from elegantshopping.com), or am I neglecting something in the process?

I apologize for the length of this message, but I wanted to throw out all the details of my problem. Any help would be greatly appreciated... keep up the good work, and I hope that once I get this figured out I'll become a regular member of this community.

Also, a side question: What would you say is the best medium-range standalone DVD player for playing DVD-Rs?

Thanks.
  • EL_RIEL
    • Jan 2002

DONT USE NERO to burn if u want to play on stand alone player or PLaystation2..
    check this post..
    DVDr Final Fantasy - Nero burn

Comment

• levendis
      • Jan 2002

Thanks... I had read that, but I had also read of people having success with Nero.
      Do you recommend Instant CD/DVD or Ulead Movie Factory?
      Prassi isn't available for download, is it?

Does anyone have specific burning instructions for programs other than Nero? I'm never sure about how crucial the settings are to making a compatible disk.

Comment

• EL_RIEL
        • Jan 2002

VOB inst.. with UDF 1.5

i use VOB instant cd+dvd v6
        but i make some UDF format changes just select 1.50 and it will play on your stand-alone player or Playstation2.. ive done it

Comment

• levendis
          • Jan 2002

Problem solved.

Thanks, but everything's copacetic now. I picked up an Apex 1500, and it plays most of the DVD's I've burned just fine. I guess I was just using a bad player.

Does 1.5 work just as well? What's really the difference (to anyone who knows)? I used VOB Instant and 1.02 UDF...

Anyway, my earlier question has been answered too, since the Apex will play the inexpensive DVD's I got from elegantshopping.com.

For a DVD player under a hundred bucks that'll play just about anything, I recommend the Apex AD-1500.

Comment

Working...