Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hech54
    • Nov 2003

TMPGEnc DVD Author and Philips +R's

I had this post in the wrong place before...sorry.

This is from the TMPGEnc DVD Author portion of the web site:

4. Quickly convert MPEG files to ifo, VOB files without re-encoding.
    Since DVD Author does not re-encode the video file, you can quickly convert MPEG files to a DVD file folder structure without degrading the quality.

I'm not understanding this AT ALL. If it is NOT re-encoding my video....why is it taking well over an hour to create the proper folders?
    Is it my DVD....originally created in my Philips 985?...is it not DVD compliant or something DVD Author LIKES?
    I recall backing up my PURCHASED Finding Nemo DVD. Used Shrink to leave only the main movie and one little extra. Used TPMGEnc DVD Author to make a cool little menu....created the files VERY QUICKLY....burned the DVD....SIMPLE.

NOW with this new project...I'm adding ONE .vob and making 14 individual "chapters" (I.E. - the songs on the concert video)...naming the songs on the menu...blah blah blah.
    If this program does not re-encode....what the heck is it doing with my video? Not only does it take HOURS....the video ends up looking like CRAP. The longer the folder creation process takes....the more time it adds to the estimated time remaining.
    Can anyone shed some light on this freaking problem?..
    Thanks if you can.
    P.S. Also has anyone figured out how to make DVDShrink accept Philips DVD Recorder created DVD's?
  • sfheath
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Sep 2003

I've seen a thread about DVDR Philips disks in the last day or two. Just did a search but couldn't find it quickly. The gist I remember is the disks have to be recorded to the end at least once I gather.
    A careful search may reveal more. Good luck
    This isn't a learning curve ... this is b****y mountaineering!

Comment

• hech54
      • Nov 2003

Thanks.....Found it.

Comment

• ducki
        • Jan 2004

Could you tell me the address. Ive been looking for author app, but have not found any?

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

To ducki

You can obtain "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc") at:

We create the best video software encoder, DVD/Blu-ray/AVCHD authoring software, and MPEG lossless editing software.

Comment

• ducki
            • Jan 2004

The thing is that I have recorded DVDs with my Philips Standalone recorder and I want to edit those menus that Philips has created. Can I do that with that TMPGEnc DVD Author?

Comment

• sfheath
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Sep 2003

AFAIK you can't edit menus. You would need to for example, load your VOBs into VirtualDubMod or similar, save as component mpv and mpa files to recombine into TMPGEnc DVD Author ... then add a menu!
              A suggestion only ... not a promise!
              Last edited by sfheath; 23 Jan 2004, 10:17 PM.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To ducki

"The thing is that I have recorded DVDs with my Philips Standalone recorder and I want to edit those menus that Philips has created. Can I do that with that TMPGEnc DVD Author?"

No, you can't edit existing menus BUT, you can readily load your DVD into TMPGEnc DVD Author and EASILY create new menus - without having to use any other software (e.g. VirtualDubMOD, etc.)

Comment

• robguy
                  • Jun 2003

You can use DVDDecrypter and keep your Philips menus. Just use the ISO Read and ISO Write functions and burn your DVD from within DVDDecrypter.

I do it all the time with my Philips DVDR985. The other ways discussed will work too, but none will allow you to keep the Philips menus.

Comment

• sfheath
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Sep 2003

Re: To ducki

Originally posted by setarip
                    "The thing is that I have recorded DVDs with my Philips Standalone recorder and I want to edit those menus that Philips has created. Can I do that with that TMPGEnc DVD Author?"

No, you can't edit existing menus BUT, you can readily load your DVD into TMPGEnc DVD Author and EASILY create new menus - without having to use any other software (e.g. VirtualDubMOD, etc.)
                    Oops! .. how many times have I seen that "Add DVD video" button and not read it?

Robguy, your method preserves the menus. I understand Ducki wants to edit/make new ones.

Comment

Working...