Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • OsoMarron
    • Oct 2003

dvd total capacity limitation

help! i've just started to copy dvds yesterday and i found a problem with the first one. using dvd shrink i got files for a total of 4.2GB and burned them to an imation dvd-r (4.7GB) with nero 6. the dvd played ok up to a certain point near the end where it hanged power dvd. i tested it on a standalone player and the end look distorted and jumpy.

then i remembered that a guy in another thread mentioned that a previous version of dvd shrink warned him when the files were above 3.9GB and people told him that that problem was "fixed" in the latest beta version. so i tried again, using compression this time, to achieve 3.9GB total and burned it... and it worked fine through the whole movie.

so finally the question is... would this 3.9GB limitation be because of the dvd-r brand, the dvd burner (LG GSA4040B) or the nero software? or do you think it was just an isolated burning error?
    codecs.. all the codecs you can get...
    what for? anime! what else?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Your problem results from either poor quality media (most likely) or a faulty burner. Your DVD is not being properly burned at the outer edge...

Comment

• OsoMarron
      • Oct 2003

in case it is a poor quality media, do you think burning at minimum speed could work? my burner supports 1x and 2x speeds and i used 2x last time...

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

It wouldn't hurt to try...

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"in case it is a poor quality media, do you think burning at minimum speed could work? my burner supports 1x and 2x speeds and i used 2x last time..."

You might give it a try. I've noticed sometimes that burning at a slower speed helps when you do a straight disc copy, not necessarily when burning files from the hard drive.

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"in case it is a poor quality media, do you think burning at minimum speed could work? my burner supports 1x and 2x speeds and i used 2x last time..."

You might give it a try. I've noticed sometimes that burning at a slower speed helps when you do a straight disc copy, not necessarily when burning files from the hard drive.

Comment

• ashy
              • Nov 2003

I would just get better disks, it seems most likely the problem.
              What brand are you using?
              Get yourself some Riteks and forget about the problem.

Comment

• OsoMarron
                • Oct 2003

I'm using Imation DVD-R... from my experience with cd-r and cd-rw I thought Imation was top quality, but I guess maybe their dvd media don't carry on that tradition. Honestly the main reason to buy that brand was the price. Here they cost $3.50 against $7 for another brand (maxell, I think...)

Anyway, I'm attacking this problem from all angles, I've downloaded the latest firmware, the latest nero update and I'm getting some additional Imations to burn at looowww speed to discard all posibilities... of course if all that fails I'll have to beat my cheapness and get the more expensive media...

Comment

• rsquirell
                  Digital Video Master
                  Digital Video Master
                  • Feb 2003

ah so purple bear....you can always use that cheap media to burn a data disc for off-computer storage until you scrape together enough funds for the good stuff. Cheap media usually works fine as data DVD's, but don't scrimp when making a video DVD.

Comment

• OsoMarron
                    • Oct 2003

well, after updating my burner firmware and my nero software, and after switching to maxell dvd+r I managed to succesfully burn a dvd that's fully readable on my pc and my standalone player... I guess I'll stick to dvd+r's from now on

Comment

Working...