Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Diligent_rob
    • Jan 2004

no audio after converting to mpeg

hi, tried to convert an avi file over to mpeg lvl 2 or somthing like that, so it would work on a dvd player. Thought i had it working, burned it to dvd. Video works just fine but there is no sound whatsoever. I used the tools, TMPGENC plus 2.5 and TMPGENC dvd author.

I tried it with other avi files and in the preview bit in the dvd author program the sound plays fine, but not with the main avi file i had to begin with, the one i would like to work. What sort of details would you need to give me some more help?

cheers
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"I tried it with other avi files and in the preview bit in the dvd author program the sound plays fine, but not with the main avi file i had to begin with, the one i would like to work."

If you are using TMPGEnc DVD Author, when you "Create New Project" > "Add File" under "Clip Information" in the audio settings portion of the dialog box, does anything appear in the "Audio Input File Name" path window, or does it say "No Audio". Also, what type of audio stream is it? (LPCM, Ac3)

Comment

• Diligent_rob
      • Jan 2004

Under the audio target line, it has the same filename and location as the mpeg file itself (im sure i coded in both audio and video when converting to mpeg)

Ah, audio stream? how do i discover that, under "audio input format" it has writtain , MPEG-1 Audio layer-2, 48000hz stereo, 384kbs. was that what you were after? if you use msn messenger at all, would you be able to add me "rob_128@hotmail.com" as a contact and speak to me in real time at all? would be much appreciated. Thanks

Rob

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"Under the audio target line, it has the same filename and location as the mpeg file itself (im sure i coded in both audio and video when converting to mpeg)"

If you indeed have a filename showing up under the audio path, then your audio should output OK. Try a test output with
        TMPGEnc DVD Author to see if it works-write the files to your hard drive and test it with WinDVD or PowerDVD.

"would you be able to add me "rob_128@hotmail.com" as a contact and speak to me in real time at all? "

I'm sorry, but that is not possible at this time.

Comment

• Diligent_rob
          • Jan 2004

i tried to do a test output, but there is no sound with this specific avi file :/. what are the best sound quality settings ? i mean, sure higher is better but are different sound settings more compatible with dvd players or somthing?

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"what are the best sound quality settings ? i mean, sure higher is better but are different sound settings more compatible with dvd players or somthing?"

If the files are DVD compliant, it should make no difference.

A quote from your initial post:

"I used the tools, TMPGENC plus 2.5 and TMPGENC dvd author."

When you loaded your AVI file into TMPGENC plus 2.5, did you attempt to re-encode it using the DVD template? (File > Project Wizard) This should have generated a DVD compliant Mpeg 2 file.

Comment

• ashy
              • Nov 2003

Ok, your problem is likely that you do not have the required codec for TMPG to decode the audio in your AVI.

Many AVI's downloaded from the net contain Ac3. TMPG cannot handle Ac3 natively, you will need to install the AC3ACM filter or extract the audio with Virtualdubmod or Virtualdub_ac3 to a wav and use that as your audio source.

As for there being audio in TMPG DVDauthor. You will still have an audio stream in the MPEG that TMPG creates whether or not you had an audio source or not.
              TMPG will simply encode silence in the output MPEG, but nevertheless it will still be a valid Mp2 stream with the right parameters: MPEG-1 Audio layer-2, 48000hz stereo, 384kbs.
              This is why DVDauthor still detects a valid audio stream.
              Last edited by ashy; 3 Jan 2004, 05:20 AM.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To Diligent_rob

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDub (or any of its variants) or NanDub

2) From the "File" dropdown menu, select "File Information"

3) Post (here) EVERYTHING you see (both video and audio information), or post a screen capture .jpg of the information box

The audiostream is probably in either .AC3 format or Variable Bitrate MPEG Layer 3 (VBR .MP3).

If it proves to be .AC3:

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to the highest priority. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...

If it proves to be VBR:

Simply use VirtualDubMOD (Different than standard VirtualDub), to save the audio stream as an Uncompressed PCM (WAV) file as follows:
                Using VirtualDubMOD to Convert "VBR" .MP3 to Uncompressed .WAV

1) Load the .AVI file into VirtualDubMOD (a different program than the standard VirtualDub)

2) From the "Video" dropdown menu, select "Direct Stream Copy"

3) From the "Streams" dropdown menu, select "Stream List" - and rightclick on the audio stream, then select "Full Processing Mode" - then click on "OK"

4) From the "File" dropdown menu, save the .AVI with a new filename

Comment

• ashy
                  • Nov 2003

In TMPGEnc, under the "Environmental Settings" "VFAPI plugin" tab rightclick on the "Direct Show Multimedia Reader" and increase to the highest priority. This will enable TMPGEnc to accept a properly encoded .AVI with .AC3 audio for input...
                  Simply doing this will NOT work without having a compatible Ac3 codec installed. The only one I know of that works with current versions of TMPG is the AC3ACM decompressor as it is a VFW codec.
                  TMPG prefers VFW codecs rather than Directshow.
                  Some other Ac3 codecs such as AC3filter will allow the audio in the AVI file to be loaded, but still will not decode the audio.
                  Last edited by ashy; 3 Jan 2004, 09:40 AM.

Comment

• Diligent_rob
                    • Jan 2004

Hello again, i downloaded the ac3 plugin bit, then did the "under enviromental settings" thing in the tmpgenc program... then tried to use a small chunk of the avi file and see if the audio worked ok.

and it did! yippee should be all sorted now, when its done converting to mpeg i will test again and if not its back to here hehe. thanks for all your help, its been very quick and much appreciated

Rob

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"thanks for all your help, its been very quick and much appreciated"

My (Our) pleasure ;>}

Comment

• colinf
                        • Feb 2004

Fixed similar problem

I used VirtualDub to open and fix the audio on a file where I was having exactly the same problem.

When I opened the file in VirtualDub, it told me right off there was a problem with the audio.

This is an article from Google groups where I found this.

VirtualDub is free. Here's the web site.

Comment

• pow216
                          • Apr 2004

Ashy, That was the exact comment about the AC3filter AC3ACM I have been looking through all the forums for. I had AC3 filter installed, could hear audio in the avi, but no audio after tmpgenc. After removing that and installing AC3 ACM as you say, now I have both audio in the avi and audio in the output from tmpgenc. Many Thanks!

I find this single process a lot easier than using different programs.

Comment

• ashy
                            • Nov 2003

You didn't need to remove the AC3filter to instal the AC3ACM decompressor. It will still work in TMPG and the AC3filter will still decode AC3 in any directshow apps.

Comment

• pow216
                              • Apr 2004

OK Thanks again.

Comment

Working...