Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cyrano
    • Jan 2004

Adding a part from one DVD to another?

I would like to take a special feature from one DVD (the movie is split on two dvd's - one dvd has more room than the other) and put it with the other.
    I intend to reauthor both discs, removing menus and having disc one with only part one of the movie. (it is already on one disc and will be DVDShrunk at about 79%. There is nothing else left I can remove. The extra on that disc would fit nicely with the 2nd half of the film which is complete on the 2nd disc. Reauthoring the 2nd disc leaves room for the special feature from the 1st disc along with part 2 of the film and DVDShrink would be at about 90%.
    I don't want to remove any of the 1st half of the movie on disc one as it is meant to run in two parts.

I hope I have not been too obscure. Can I add a bit of material to a disc using DVDShrink or is DVDDecrypter to be used first? Or something else.

I don't need menus. Just part one on disc 1. Part two on disc 2, along with a special piece that was on disc one.

(This starts to get into what I would eventually like to do which is create montages from many films and even set them to music of my own choosing.)
    But first how about the surgery I wish to perform in my first question?

Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by cyrano; 11 Feb 2004, 06:08 PM.
    - Mike
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

If you haven't already, did you refer to this guide (link below) on "Splitting a DVD" using DVD Shrink? It uses the example with version 2.3, but it is applicable to the other versions also.

Comment

• megamachine
      Video Fiddler
      • Mar 2003

If you plan to do a lot of edits and assemble a bunch of little pieces in a montage, you might want to try another method. I have done this with TMPGEnc MPEG Tools, where you can use the Merge and Cut feature to cut up and re-assemble MPEG-2 files. Or, you can use a nice little program called MPEG2CUT that does something very similar. Also, if you are going to use silent clips for montage, then you may want to demux, or separate, the audio and video, and then transfer those clips to AVI so you can use Media Studio or Premiere and add some effects to your montage, and patch in music later. It all depends on what you want to do.

Comment

• cyrano
        • Jan 2004

Thanks ormonde and megamachine.

Ormonde, I'll try that. The thing I'm not clear about, from the tutorial: Can a special feature from disc one be added to the contents of disc two. The tutorial does not address this. Whenever I try to add files to the directory created from the first reauthoring DVDShrink always says it has to delete the files that are there. And I cannot manually add the files since they have the same names once created.
        Also, the IFO file (Navigation?) probably needs to be created at the same time as all of the other files that are to be included.

If I am not clear let me know. I'll certainly try the tutorial method although I think, in essence, I have.

Thanks again!
        - Mike

Comment

• ormonde
          Digital Video Explorer
          • Dec 2003

"I'm not clear about, from the tutorial: Can a special feature from disc one be added to the contents of disc two. The tutorial does not address this."

I would recommend ripping "Both" disks to your HD first–make a folder for each disk (disk 1, disk 2 etc...). Then in DVD Shrink use "Open Files" NOT "Open Disk" and proceed to re-author mode to add the specific titles from each folder in order to create your compilation.

Comment

• cyrano
            • Jan 2004

That's a good idea! Thanks ormonde.
            - Mike

Comment

• ormonde
              Digital Video Explorer
              • Dec 2003

"That's a good idea! Thanks ormonde."

Glad to be of help

Comment

• cyrano
                • Jan 2004

Just to let you know. It worked perfectly. I learned a lot. Thanks again!
                - Mike

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"Just to let you know. It worked perfectly. I learned a lot. Thanks again!"

That is great to hear. Once again, glad that I was able to help.

Comment

Working...