Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amb7247
    • Feb 2004

looking for this specific free dvd software

It was an alternative to dvd x copy, but it was a freeware dvd program that allowed you to uncheck anything that you don't want on the dvd copy and you could adjust the output size I think. I used to find it on dvd-digest but I guess things changed. It has options to where you can remove the 2.1 and only leave the 5.1 tracks, remove the credits, remove the menus if you wanted to buy check or unchecking the boxes.

Anyone know which dvd software I'm talking about. I can't quite remember.
  • Quality's Proof
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Jan 2004

There is a Linux software which seems to resemble what you say. Hey, they even have an open source software dvd player.

You have windows and want something like the "one-click" DVDXCopy Gold (or Platinum?)? Then answer is to download the DVDShrink v.3.1.5 Beta 4, DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 and install both in the Program Files part of your hdd. Then visit the web site of mrbass.org and download and install the G.U.I. AutoShrinkISO v. 3.1 in the Program Files part of hdd (do not put these in same folders, but in Program Files part (this is so path is not too long)).

You may also need to download and install the registry entry at that same site (mrbass.org). Setting the program paths is the only part that would take most persons a while (if your O.S. isn't missing dll's, libraries, etc. (result of spyware/adware, software un-installs, etc.)).

Getting this G.U.I. to work correctly can sometimes mean hunting down those missing O.S. parts on the net searches, or as most (with that problem) do, is a fresh O.S. re-install.

The dvd movie back-ups' video quality is ~ or = to DVDXCopy Gold. On a well set-up rig, the results are =. 2 hours re-install of O.S. is better than $100US for DVDXCopy Gold (for most persons).
    Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• amb7247
      • Feb 2004

I just remember is being a freeware windows version. WHere you could plick and choose what you didn't want into your new dvd copy. So if you didnt' want the special features, credits, or the 2 channel sound or menu from the real dvd, you can choose not to have those items and kind of remaster it as just the movie with none of the extra features and stuff that increase the dvd size.

Comment

• amb7247
        • Feb 2004

oh every mirror DVD Shink has on theri site didn't work.

Comment

• amb7247
          • Feb 2004

n/m I had to turn off zonealarm. BTW if you know or if anyone knows kinda what im talking about. It used to be on I think dvd-digest website and was oen of the most popular and recommended freeware dvd authorizing programs.

Comment

• amb7247
            • Feb 2004

Just one more tidbit. I'm looking to spend like $110 or less on a DVD-RAM drive that supports 9.4GB dvd platter, newegg.com doens't say which DVD-RAM drives support the 9.4GB format and I know newegg has cheap prices. Thanks. I just have a dvd-rom now and a Lite on cd-rw but I think a dvd-ram would be better in the long run.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Jan 2004

No, the DVD-Ram is not so good an idea. You really should mean to buy a DVD/RW (writer) drive, if you want to burn movies and watch with a dvd player to television (also). Buy a DVD-Ram -NO!

DVD-Ram.......NO!

The freeware I told you about in post works good and should do what you said you wanted to do with a dvd.
              Rig :

P - 4 @ 1.7 Ghz, 768 mb (133) Ram, Intel 845 chipset M'board, Seagate 60 Gig., 5400 rpsm hdd, Maxtor 40 Gig. 7200 rpm hdd, Hauppauge 880 pvr card, etc.. O.S. - XP Home Edition.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                Digital Video Master
                Digital Video Master
                • Jan 2004

DVD MOVIE BACK-UP SOLUTION (FREEWARE)

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Quality's Proof
                [B]

? Then answer is to download the DVDShrink v.3.1.5 Beta 4, DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0 and install both in the Program Files part of your hdd. Then visit the web site of mrbass.org and download and install the G.U.I. AutoShrinkISO v. 3.1 in the Program Files part of hdd (do not put these in same folders, but in Program Files part (this is so path is not too long)).

You may also need to download and install the registry entry at that same site (mrbass.org).
                Rig :

Comment

• amb7247
                  • Feb 2004

ah ok I so that would mean the DVD-RAM drive is also alot more expensive then. What DVD RW drive would you recommend. Like which kind of brands should I look at?

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                    Digital Video Master
                    Digital Video Master
                    • Jan 2004

That choice of DVD/RW burner also depends upon whether you already have a dvd player and what make and model (whether it plays - R's or + R's, or both). If no dvd player then a good choice is to go Pioneer all the way. Pioneer 107D from meritline.com is ~ $130 or 140. Entry-level Pioneer dvd player from Wal-Mart ~ $80.

PS2 also plays Pioneer burns good, too. You could also buy - R dvd's as they are cheaper and play in more dvd players.
                    Rig :

Comment

• robguy
                      • Jun 2003

amb7247

Perhaps you were thinking of SmartRipper (available at

However, I would still recommend DVDShrink and DVDDecrypter, which are updated regularly. Unfortunately, SmartRipper hasn't been updated in years. It was released on March 16, 2001, and was last updated on Dec. 15, 2001. Since then, the author(s) just let it sit without any more updates.

As for DVD-RAM -- usually those burners are a little more expensive. However, some manufacturers, like Iomega, make a drive that burns DVD+R, DVD-R, DVD+RW, DVD-RW and DVD-RAM. I bought their "Superdrive" for $180.

The DVD-RAM burning ability is handy, for example, if you have a standalone Panasonic recorder in your living room and want to port the disc to your computer for further editing (for example, TMPGenc DVD Author, which accepts the DVD-RAM's *.vro files) and then burn back to a -R, +R, RW or back to DVD-RAM.

Having said that, if you don't have a standalone DVD-RAM recorder (like a Panasonic or other -RAM recorder in your living room), you won't need the DVD-RAM burning/reading ability, and can then opt for a cheaper burner that only does -R or +R (or both). In addition, there are very few standalone DVD players that can read DVD-RAM discs.

Also remember that, like RW discs, RAM discs are more expensive than their "write-once" cousin, the -R.
                      Last edited by robguy; 23 Feb 2004, 06:02 AM.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                        Digital Video Master
                        Digital Video Master
                        • Jan 2004

[QUOTE]Originally posted by robguy
                        [B]amb7247

Perhaps you were thinking of SmartRipper

The thread starter was referring to a software which is like DVDX Copy. SmartRipper doesn't burn, whereas the AutoShrink G.U.I. and it's "pathed" softwares does burn.

Threadstarter, : the AutoShrinkISO from mrbass.org is the only "like DVDX Copy", which I am aware of.

BTW : SmartRipper v. 2.41, though not updated for a while is still better at ripping than some other rippers, including DVDDecrypter v. 3.1.9.0. DVDDecrypter has the advantage as an "all-around" software as the burning feature is included. Without the burning feature, DVDDecrypter would not be so popular with so many persons whom do dvd movie back-ups. SmartRipper v. 2.41 is still some better at ripping.
                        Last edited by Quality's Proof; 23 Feb 2004, 10:44 AM.
                        Rig :

Comment

• amb7247
                          • Feb 2004

I rmember it being very close to dvd shink now I think abut it. It was freeware, I can't seem to locate it.

Comment

• Quality's Proof
                            Digital Video Master
                            Digital Video Master
                            • Jan 2004

There are some "archived" G.U.I. vcd, freewares, but they do not burn as DVDXCopy does, nor does dvdshrink.
                            Rig :

Comment

Working...