Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • louv68
    • Feb 2004

Removing and Adding Chapters on DVD's

I want to make an action scene DVD; taking many small clips and burning them onto one DVD. I would like to remove the chapters which are already built-in and create new chapters that start with each new clip. How can I do this? I would also like to do this with minimal software. I don't want to spend too much on software that I'll rarely use.

Thanks
  • windtrader
    Platinum Member
    Platinum Member
    • Feb 2002

I'd use DVDShrink. You can use it to open a DVD, reauthor and extract just the chapters you want. Do this from all the DVD that have content you want. Then combine them together into one single finished DVD that has all the previously extracted chapters. You won't get any nice menu system but it is an easy one product approach.

Comment

• louv68
      • Feb 2004

That's sort of what I've been doing. I'll remove sections of video, not complete chapters; but the chapters are still within those clips. It's kind of hard to explain. I want each clip to be one chapter, so that when I advance to the next chapter it goes to the next clip and not advance "within" that clip.

I hope that makes sense.

Thanks for your input by the way.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"I want each clip to be one chapter, so that when I advance to the next chapter it goes to the next clip and not advance "within" that clip."

Once you've used DVD Shrink to create the clips, you could use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc"), to add ALL of the clips to ONE track (NOT a NEW track for each clip), delete the existing chapter breaks and then add the chapter breaks you desire...

Comment

• louv68
          • Feb 2004

"Once you've used DVD Shrink to create the clips, you could use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc"), to add ALL of the clips to ONE track (NOT a NEW track for each clip), delete the existing chapter breaks and then add the chapter breaks you desire..."

Thank you for your advice. Now I've run into a new problem. Everything appeared to be working right (minus the chapter problem). The new problem is that when I make the final backup in DVD Shrink; it places the first clip as the Main Movie and the other clips as extras. When played back as a final burned copy, there is about a one second freeze between clips I wish I could get it to play continuosly. Will creating one track with TMPGEnc DVD Author prevent this? Is there an alternative "freeware" way of preventing the one second pause between clips?

Comment

• wrecked4
            • Apr 2002

Read this But setarip method works too.
            use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc"), to add ALL of the clips to ONE track (NOT a NEW track for each clip), delete the existing chapter breaks and then add the chapter breaks you desire...
            it should author everything in one title set without the one second freeze.

Comment

• louv68
              • Feb 2004

Thanks wrecked4,

I'll give it a try and let you know how it turns out.

-LouV68

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

I guess you didn't follow my instruction to:

use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (Different than "TMPGEnc"), to add ALL of the clips to ONE track (NOT a NEW track for each clip)

Comment

• louv68
                  • Feb 2004

For now "TMPGEnc DVD Author" is out of the question. The wife would prefer I not make any purchases right now since we just bought a house. I guess remodeling and repairs take priority.

I did find this guide which is a bit more thorough than the "setarip method" and it works fairly well. The only problem is navigating. Chaptering Fwd works, but ffwd or rew will bring you back to the first chapter. I guess it'll have to do for now.

Just out of curiosity, does "TMPGEnc DVD Author" give you fully functional discs? ie. seamless playback, full navigational controls Also, does it allow you to make menus?

Thank you again for your advice.

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

"Just out of curiosity, does "TMPGEnc DVD Author" give you fully functional discs? ie. seamless playback, full navigational controls Also, does it allow you to make menus?"

Yes to all your questions.

Comment

• windtrader
                      Platinum Member
                      Platinum Member
                      • Feb 2002

There are a number of authoring tools that can do what you want and are shareware or have some form of trial. I don't have the specifics but you can look up

DVD-LAB - mediachance
                      My-DVD-it Sonic
                      DVD Workshop - Ulead

Also,you might give VOBEDIT a try. It can join the various clips together into one vob.

Lots of ways to do what you want.

Comment

• ormonde
                        Digital Video Explorer
                        • Dec 2003

"There are a number of authoring tools that can do what you want and are shareware or have some form of trial."

TMPGEnc DVD Author has a trial period. (14 or 30 days)

Comment

• mattgrant
                          • Nov 2003

You could always go the tape route. Output your files at the moment onto MiniDV, then recapture into an editing program and re-encode / author. You will loose a bit of quality, but may end up being the quickest/easiest option without haveing to buy new software.

Comment

Working...