Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dondo 100
    • Aug 2003

Creating a VIDEO_TS file

When a DVD is recorded, a VIDEO_TS file is created that "organizes" the various segments (VTS files) of the video. Is it possible to cut and paste (to a new directory) various VTS files from two or more DVDs - without copying the respective VIDEO_TS files, and then combine them under a single new VIDEO_TS file?

What software can be used to do this, and what is the procedure?
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

The VOB starting with VTS_01_1.VOB contains the actual movie...the other IFO, BUP, and VOB files contain information about that movie which is contained in the audio and video headers and pertains to how it's to be presented on the disc (menu with title and chapter points, etc). by sticking a stray VOB in you might screw everything up even if it is recognized, especially if headers aren't identical or you change the VOB's numbers to alter the sequence. You wonder where some of these burn problems come from?

Comment

• windtrader
      Platinum Member
      Platinum Member
      • Feb 2002

by sticking a stray VOB in you might screw everything up
      That should read you WILL screw everything up. The IFOS for VIDEO_TS and the titleset IFOs contain very low level information tied to the associated VOBS. You should never attempt to interchange them or modify them unless you know what you are doing and use a tool that can ensure you maintain the integrity of the ifos.

Comment

• rsquirell
        Digital Video Master
        Digital Video Master
        • Feb 2003

Say he substitutes a VTS_01_2.VOB for the original in a multiple VOB DVD and is lucky enough for all the headers to exactly match...he might actually get something that might burn...but it wouldn't make any sense when you played it....and the only way to check the theory out would be to waste a few discs experimenting to get something you wouldn't want anyway.

Comment

• dondo 100
          • Aug 2003

Since the VOB files will play (without the associated DVD Navigational or BUP files) in players such as Power DVD, it seems that there should be away to load a bunch of unrelated VOB files into software and have the software create a new "overall" set of DVD Navigational and BUP files that "manages" the whole set.

For instance, DVD Shrink's re-authoring mode allows one to make multiple copies of a single VOB file, trimming each one differently. When you've completed your re-authoring DVD Shrink creates a new set of DVD Navigational and BUP files.

The problem is, DVD Shrink will only allow you to import VIDEO_TS files, not individual VOB files.

So my question is: is there any software that will allow importing VOB files?

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

"it seems that there should be away to load a bunch of unrelated VOB files into software and have the software create a new "overall" set of DVD Navigational and BUP files that "manages" the whole set."

"TMPGEnc DVD Author" (DIfferent than "TMPGEnc" and "TMPGEncPlus") can readily do this for you.

Since your .VOBs will be from different DVDs, there will very likely be some that are of differing resolutions. Therefore, I'd suggest you load each into "TMPGEnc DVD Author" as "add new track" - and then create your menu...

Comment

• dondo 100
              • Aug 2003

Many thanks - I'll try it.

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

"Many thanks - I'll try it."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• jimhacker
                  • Feb 2005

Thanks "dondo100". This i exactly what everyone should discuss and to know about getting their DVD to the max.

I am having similar problem, and still trying to solve it. What I have done now is to use Chopper XP to trim the VOB files and use VOBEdit to join different files in sequence. Without comprehension when I created IFO file with IFO Edit, the sequence becomes random. However, when I tried to squeeze the whole VOB folder with DVDShrink, the display show exactly sequence as wished. Then what really puzzled me is the produced VOB files were in sequence, and IFO file was not!

Fortunately, my first lucky try with the DVD Shrink produced a sequenced IFO file, and I was able to use it to drive the Squeezed VOB files.

Am fine tuning these procedures to get it consistent. How is your luck with "TMPGEnc DVD Author" as "setarip" suggested?

Regards,

JH

Comment

• jimhacker
                    • Feb 2005

Got it! Just rearrange VOB filef with VOB Edit:

1.) rename the VOB files you'd like to sequence, no matter resolution difference, to
                    VTS_01_001
                    VTS_01_002
                    VTS_01_00n

2.) Start VOBEdit and open VTS_01_001
                    and join the files to create
                    VTS_01_1 and increment by default (1)

3.) Quit VOBEdit and start IFOEdit.

4.) Select "Create", select just created VTS_01_1 and the folder it's in and let te program do the job.

After that you can check that new created IFO file will play accordingly!

No fancy software, just a bit of additional process from available software.

JH

Comment

Working...