Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LRod
    • Apr 2004

Copying more than 4GB? How?

I am very new to this and need some help. I have copied some movies from TV and can not get beyond 4GB. The movie splits into two files. I have installed Windows XP Pro and converted to NTFS. I thought this would help but it has not.

I need to know if there is some software out there that does not have a limit of 4GB for mpeg files, or do I need to go to another format to record over 4GB.
    So far I have used Roxio 6, PowerDVD Pro, and VirtualDub.
    These programs have given some good recordings and I have burnt files with good results but they stop at the 4GB limit. I have tried different resolutions and that too has not worked.
    Ripping or Copying DVD's is not a problem. It's recording that has me stumped.
    Can anyone give me some help?

Thanks!!!

I found something I was doing wrong.
    I thought I should share it with you. I did install WinXP and did convert to NTFS on C: drive. But what I was doing is, my D: drive is much bigger so I was copying files to that drive. The problem is that my D: drive is Fat32, which doesn't allow mpeg files larger than 4GB.
    I had a 2 hour movie that I had copied, in two parts, and used TMPGEnc to merge them together. Worked great. Now I'll try DVD Shrink to get it onto one disk. I'm going to retry my record programs and copy on my C: drive and see if it will copy more than 4GB.
    My original question still stands if anyone wants to respond. Thanks!!
    Last edited by LRod; 2 Apr 2004, 08:54 PM.
  • rsquirell
    Digital Video Master
    Digital Video Master
    • Feb 2003

All the VHS capture software I've seen has a 4GB limit...this is because you not only have the FAT32 limitations, but those running Win ME also have a 4 GB limitation, and commercial software has to be designed to work across all platforms and OS'.

Comment

• LRod
      • Apr 2004

I don't have FAT32 on my c: drive, I'm using NTFS. I merged both files for the over 2 hour movie then used DVDshrink, got it down a bit, and burned it to 1 disk. Worked great!
      Thanks for the response.

Comment

• LRod
        • Apr 2004

I guess I'm answering my own questions here

Using Roxio 6, I copied a 2:16 hour movie in one mpeg file.
        That means I can now shrink it down, without any breaks, and burn it to one single DVD disk. How did I do this?
        Windows XP, file system converted to NTFS. I guess this was so simple, no one wanted to respond to my post.

Thanks for looking!!!

Comment

Working...