Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • bosox188
    • Apr 2004

Burning a movie onto a DVD

I'm not really a newbie at this but I have a question about burning movies onto DVDs. When I first started burning DVDs, I had downloaded the movie in Divx and converted it to Mpeg2 using TMPEGEnc, then to the .vob files using TMPEg DVD Author. But I had to sacrifice a lot of quality because the discs only hold 4.7 GB. Same when burning VCD or SVCDs on a 700mb disc. Reading some of these posts, it seems that I don't have to go through all of this and burn the .vobs and stuff. My player can't read Divx but could I burn an Mpeg2 data disc or something similar without having to go through the VCD or SVCD processes and still have my player be able to play it? It would give me much more room for quality as the VCD/SVCD results in large files.
  • megamachine
    Video Fiddler
    • Mar 2003

If you want to play the DVD on a stand alone player, you need to author it with proper DVD file structure. For storing MPEG-2s, data DVDs work fine, and you can play those on a software DVD player.

Comment

• bosox188
      • Apr 2004

Thanx I didn't know if the stand alone player could play it.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Thanx I didn't know if the stand alone player could play it."

I believe you've misinterpreted "megamachine's" response. MPEG2 Data DVDs will play on YOUR PC, using a software DVD player, such as WinDVD - but such a DVD will NOT play on most standalone DVD players...

Comment

• bosox188
          • Apr 2004

I knew what he meant, I must have just been unclear. But those standalone players that can play Divx, do they just read the data discs or is there a special way to burn them like you would a VCD or DVD?

Comment

Working...