Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • pete in nyc
    • Apr 2004

newbie question, but I read the faqs

My goal is to get 2 hours of home video (from my dv camcorder) onto single dvd+r discs. If a dvd9 disc can be dvdshrink'd to fit onto a standard 4.7 gb, my home movies should be no match, right?

From dvdshrink, I open files, but cannot find the option to add anything other than an already DVD formatted folder, or DVD. I cannot find an option to load video files so that they can be converted or shrunk.

My movies are about 10 gigs and approximately 50 minutes appiece. They each are about all one dvd will hold.

Suggestions on squeezing two of them onto one dvd disc?

I've used nerovision to capture the videos and have tried different formats (dv1, dv2, dvd, etc).

Thanks,

pete
  • digidragon
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2003

DVD Shrink can only re-author a DVD. You'll need to author a DVD first (maybe using Nero), and then DVD Shrink can shrink it.

Comment

• pete in nyc
      • Apr 2004

But how do I author a DVD that's longer in length than the media in my drive? I must be missing a simple way around this catch-22.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) If not already DVD-compliant, use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the MPEG to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this (This step may not be necessary, if your MPEG-2 filies are already in DVD compliant format)

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
        (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• pete in nyc
          • Apr 2004

Will this work?

I have just set nero to make a movie with two files, but I checked the box to WRITE to hard disk instead of BURN to dvd.

On my pentium III this process is slated to take 9 hours, so unless I get someone telling me soon to abort, I'll continue to let it wirte.. I wonder if shrinkdvd will allow me to shrink the outcome of that?

Pete

Comment

• pete in nyc
            • Apr 2004

Didn't work. It actually took 18 hours, and when it finished processing, dvdshink could not find the appopriate file format to convert!

Oh well.. Other suggestions would be GREATLY appreciated.

thanks,
            pete

Comment

• digidragon
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Dec 2003

After Nero had finished, what files did it create. There should be a VIDEO_TS folder (and probably an empty AUDIO_TS folder). Inside the VIDEO_TS folder there should be various IFO and VOB files.

In DVD Shrink, go to Open Files, and select the VIDEO_TS folder that Nero created.

Comment

• pete in nyc
                • Apr 2004

I'm not in front of that computer right now (I'm at work), but I don't remember seeing those folders. What I noticed, though, is that instead of "writing to hard disk" there's another option to burn to the image writer. Maybe that will give me the proper folder structure.

Last night I set it up again to try the image writer and when I left for work today there were still 9 hours to go. I'll post my results later tonight (hopefully).

Thanks.

pete

Comment

• digidragon
                  Gold Member
                  Gold Member
                  • Dec 2003

When the image is done, open it with DVD Shrink: File > Open disc image...

Comment

• pete in nyc
                    • Apr 2004

The image file produced by Nero got me the following error message from dvdshrink:

"Invalid DVD Navigation Structure"

Trying to open the VIDEO_TS folder still doesn't work either.

I found some other online sources of info and someone suggested deleting the iso and bup files and running a program called IFOedit. I'm about to give that a shot...

Pete

Comment

• pete in nyc
                      • Apr 2004

Didn't work either. Got the first half to open into dvdshrink, but the 2nd half won't show up..

pete
                      Last edited by pete in nyc; 7 Apr 2004, 09:49 AM.

Comment

• digidragon
                        Gold Member
                        Gold Member
                        • Dec 2003

What's the total size of the ISO and VIDEO_TS folder that Nero creates? Can you play the VIDEO_TS folder on the PC using PowerDVD or Media Player Classic (open the VIDEO_TS.IFO file with it).

I'm not familiar with DV, but could you transfer the AVI(s) to PC, and then convert them and author them in seperate stages, rather than using Nero for everything.

Convert: TMPGEnc
                        Author: TMPGEnc DVD Author

Comment

• mrblack
                          • Jan 2004

Try ULEAD movie factory 3, that may help. If you can use NERO, ULEAD will be a breaze for you.

Comment

• setarip
                            Retired
                            • Dec 2001

To digidragon

"then convert them and author them in seperate stages, rather than using Nero for everything.
                            Convert: TMPGEnc Author: TMPGEnc DVD Author"

I can only assume you didn't read my earlier post to this thread...

Comment

• digidragon
                              Gold Member
                              Gold Member
                              • Dec 2003

Re: To digidragon

Originally posted by setarip
                              I can only assume you didn't read my earlier post to this thread...
                              Yes, I did. But you referred to converting MPEGs. I was suggesting that he tried converting the raw DV-AVIs after downloading them from the camcorder.

Comment

Working...