X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • r0lZ
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Mar 2004

BTW, my version is v6.0.2900.2180, and is 93,184 bytes long (under XP SP2). Maybe you should try to upgradde?
    r0lZ
    PgcEdit homepage (hosted by VideoHelp)
    Unofficial mirror (in Poland)

Comment

• jm1647
      An Eagles Fan, A MenuShrinker
      • Apr 2005

@rolz - I have been folowing this. I have the same problem with the homepage. I'm running XP pro SP2 and my version of IE is the same size as your and the same version and is listed as an application in properties.

Entering proc ::main::display_html {http://www.videohelp.com/~r0lZ/pgcedit/index.html}
      ::config(web_browser) = "C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe"
      file exists C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe? 1
      file executable C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe? 0
      ::config(platform) = win
      Getting browser filename...

I'll download PgcEdit 061 again from the webpage and try it again.

Comment

• jm1647
        • Apr 2005

I just got it again from videohelp and it does the same thing

Entering proc ::main::display_html {http://www.videohelp.com/~r0lZ/pgcedit/index.html}
        Getting browser filename...

Comment

• r0lZ
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Mar 2004

OK. Seems it's something strange with the tk function to test if a file is executable. So, could you try to edit the test plugin to remove the executable test, and see if tcl is able to launch IExplore successfully?

Replace these lines
          Code:
          	if {(! [file exists $::config(web_browser)] || ! [file executable $::config(web_browser)]) && \
          				$::config(platform) != "mac"} {
          by this line:
          Code:
          	if {! [file exists $::config(web_browser)] && $::config(platform) != "mac"} {
          and restart PgcEdit.
          If it works, I will do the same change in the next release.
          r0lZ

Comment

• r0lZ
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Mar 2004

@jm1647
            Do you have also the problem with the last opened DVD folder not remembered?
            r0lZ

Comment

• kmfritz
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Aug 2003

Originally Posted by r0lZ
              Yes, tcl report the file as non executable. It's the cause of the problem. Maybe it's a bug in tcl, but on my system iexplore is executable. Could you verify the properties of iexplore.exe? It should be listed as an Application.

Also, which version of PgcEdit are you using? V 0.6.1 standalone? If so, try to download it again. Sometimes, a bad download causes unspected things to happend...

And a virus check may be useful, too.
              Yes, Windows Explorer shows it is an application, though I think it just looks at the extension. Choosing "properties" on iexplore.exe shows that it has a version tab, which is a characteristic of a executable or an extension like a dll file. The computer passes a thorough Norton Antivirus check, and the crc32 of the iexplore.exe (AF874152) matches that of the iexplore.exe stored in c:\WINDOWS\system32\dllcache. I also expanded the compressed iexplore.ex_ file that was in c:\windows\i386 and it also has the same CRC, so I'm relatively sure that it was always virus free.

Using a text editor, I see that iexplore.exe also has the "MZ" as the first two bytes that are typical of an executable file, and a warning message that it cannot be run in DOS mode.

Do you know some way to force the recognition of it as an executalbe? In the Add/Remove Programs dialog I used the set program access and defaults and used custom to choose "internet explorer" as my default web browser, though it already was with the microsoft settings.

Yes, I'm using 0.6.1 - by standalone I assume you mean the non-zipped executable? No, I always download the zipped version and then unzip it into a directory, and run from there. The .ZIP was fine. I did retry the "install" routine from within PgcEdit a few times, but I think that mainly puts the shortcuts in place.

Just to test the routine, I pointed PGCEdit to another executable and it launches just fine, though it's not a browser. Also, the TCL windows shows that the executable both exists and is executable, so the TCL appears to be bug free.

Still a mystery. Perhaps a security patch broke it's recognition as an executable? I admit I've avoided SP2 for WinXP because of troubles it causes with other applications. I instead choose the custom updates. Unless I'm missing something, it seems that SP2 mainly added a pop-up blocker and executable filter to IE and a better firewall. If that's all, I was already happy with ZoneAlarm Pro, etc. on WinXP SP1.

Kevin
              Last edited by kmfritz; 12 Nov 2005, 06:34 AM.

Comment

• kmfritz
                Gold Member
                Gold Member
                • Aug 2003

OK. Seems it's something strange with the tk function to test if a file is executable. So, could you try to edit the test plugin to remove the executable test, and see if tcl is able to launch IExplore successfully?

Replace these lines
                Code:
                	if {(! [file exists $::config(web_browser)] || ! [file executable $::config(web_browser)]) && \
                				$::config(platform) != "mac"} {
                by this line:
                Code:
                and restart PgcEdit.
                If it works, I will do the same change in the next release.

YES!!!! That fixed it! It now correctly launches the homepage (or mirror) in Internet Explorer and retains that from run to run!

By the way, I think the last directory not being recorded was because I had the "save settings on exit" off for awhile, so I wouldn't pursue that any further. It's working now.

Thanks!
                Kevin

Comment

• jm1647
                  • Apr 2005

@rolz - Editing the test plugin worked for me also!!

Launching command "exec -- C:/Program Files/Internet Explorer/iexplore.exe http://www.videohelp.com/~r0lZ/pgcedit/index.html &"
                  Exiting proc ::main::display_html

Thanks!

Comment

• r0lZ
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Mar 2004

Thanks, guys. Though it doesn't explain why tcl thinks your iexplore.exe is not executable, we have a way to fix the problem. The test I've made was a safety check to be sure the user has selected an executable file, but it is not really needed. I'll remove it.
                    If you want to fix it temporally for the current version of PgcEdit, use the plugin, with the modification above, and remove also the "console show" and the "puts ..." lines.
                    r0lZ

Comment

• jm1647
                      • Apr 2005

@rolz - I think I edited the test plugin right, the console window still shows up. Is it supposed to, it's no big deal. I attached my edited test.tcl

Thanks
                      Attached Files

Comment

• r0lZ
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Mar 2004

Seems right. Are you sure you have deleted the original plugin?
                        r0lZ

Comment

• blutach
                          Not a god of digital video
                          • Oct 2004

@r0lZ

I think I have narrowed down the ISO create error to when there are multiple PgcEdit_backup subfolders (strange as this sounds).

Removing these makes the ISO. With them, I get the attached log.

Hope this helps.

Regards
                          Attached Files
                          Last edited by blutach; 13 Nov 2005, 11:28 AM.
                          Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
                          [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• jm1647
                            • Apr 2005

Seems right. Are you sure you have deleted the original plugin?
                            The one I made a copy of is the only file named test browser.tcl in the plugins folder. The one I added .txt to is an copy of the 1KB file. As I said no big deal I just wasn't sure if the console window was supposed to go away or not.
                            Here is a copy and paste of the test browser.tcl file

proc ::main::display_html {page} {

if {$::config(web_browser) == ""} {

set tmp [tk_getOpenFile -filetypes {{{Program files} {*.EXE}}} -initialdir "/" -parent . -title {PgcEdit first time setup: Please select your web browser}]
                            if {$tmp == ""} return
                            set ::config(web_browser) $tmp

}

set tmp [tk_getOpenFile -filetypes {{{Program files} {*.EXE}}} -initialdir "/" -parent . -title {PgcEdit first time setup: Please select your web browser}]
                            if {$tmp == ""} return
                            set ::config(web_browser) $tmp

}

if {[catch {exec -- $::config(web_browser) $page &}]} {

set ::config(web_browser) ""
                            }

}

Comment

• r0lZ
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Mar 2004

Yes, with this file, the console should not be opened. Do you see something in the console? An error message, or something else?
                              r0lZ

Comment

• r0lZ
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                Lord of Digital Video
                                • Mar 2004

Originally Posted by blutach
                                I think I have narrowed down the ISO create error to when there are multiple PgcEdit_backup subfolders (strange as this sounds).

Removing these makes the ISO. With them, I get the attached log.
                                This problem is not new. But when I test it on my system, everything is fine, even with a lot of PgcEdit_backup folders. Obviously, it's a problem with MkISOFS.exe, since the command line in the log is correct. BTW, have you tried to execute the same command from a DOS shell?

I really don't know what I can do. Maybe I can add an option to delete the backup folders in the burn setup GUI. What do you think?
                                r0lZ

Comment

Working...