Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Skyking2000
    • Jul 2004

Merging files from two differant DVDs

I want to merge DVD files from two differant Disks into One disk.
    I tried moving non compressed files into into first DVD video-ts folder and renaming files, it does not work. When using Power DVD, play back stops at the end of the 1st DVD files.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"I want to merge DVD files from two differant Disks into One disk."

Use "DVD Shrink" in "Re-author" mode. This tutorial will explain how:

Comment

• Easier Way?
      Gold Member
      Gold Member
      • Jan 2003

Hi Ormonde,
      Is it possible to use dvd2(svcd)dvd or tmpgenc to reduce the size of each DVD first and yet retain good quality; and then use DVD Shrink to combine the 2. I have a dvd writer in the post so this will all be new to me.
      PS It's hard to search for this topic as "2" is not accepted.

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"Is it possible to use dvd2(svcd)dvd or tmpgenc to reduce the size of each DVD first and yet retain good quality"

It is certainly possible, but would involve reducing the bitrate, which in effect would reduce the overall quality (but still might be respectable to you).

Comment

• Easier Way?
          Gold Member
          Gold Member
          • Jan 2003

Thanks Ormonde, There would be far more space available on a half dvd+/-r than for a svcd on a cdr, could I expect quality some where between svcd and dvd?

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"could I expect quality some where between svcd and dvd?"

If you desire to encode mpeg files (SVCD) into a compliant DVD file structure, I would follow the procedure listed below. Then you can combine 2 DVDs by putting the files on a different "Track" in DVD Author - then compress with DVD Shrink if the overall filesize exceeds 4.37 Gig. The quality issue is in the "Eye of the Beholder". Also, if you try "DVD Lab", it accepts SVCDs directly for output to DVD.

1. Convert the AVI (DivX or Xvid)/mpeg file(s) to a DVD compliant mpeg-2 file(s) using "TMPGEnc" or "TMPGEnc Plus". Use the DVD template (NTSC or PAL) form the "Project Wizard" to help you accomplish the task. If you have an mpeg file that is already DVD-compliant, then skip directly to step 2.

2. Then use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (different than "TMPGEnc") to author the newly created mpeg-2 into a DVD-related file structure (.IFO, .BUP, .VOB). As an alternative, you can use "DVDLab" to author as well.

3. If the combined filesize of the project exceeds 4.37 Gig, use "DVD Shrink" or similar transcoding program to compress.

4. Use "Nero" or similar burning program to burn onto a DVD (r, rw) disk.
            Last edited by ormonde; 23 Sep 2004, 12:30 AM.

Comment

• Easier Way?
              Gold Member
              Gold Member
              • Jan 2003

Many thanks Ormonde,
              I'll look up all that software, you suggest really that for good quality reduction I might as well not use DVD2DVD/tmpgenc and just use DVD Shrink.

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

"Many thanks Ormonde"

Glad to be of help

Comment

Working...