Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • eep
    • Aug 2004

How to make MPEG-1 menus?

I'm not even sure this is possible but hopefully someone will know...

I'm using TMPEG to put a couple of MPEG-1 movies onto a DVD to be played in my PS2. If I create it with menus the PS2 won't play it, and I think this is because the menus are MPEG-2 and the movies MPEG-1 (oh, and probably cos the PS2 is a bit crap).

So I'm wondering if it's possible to create MPEG-1 menus? or patch up the current ones to get the DVD to work?

I can play the movies ok, if I author the disc without any menus, but if possible I'd like to get the menus working.

Cheers
  • andrewpk200
    • Mar 2003

it might also be possable that you have an early version of the PS2, earlier versions did not support DVD+R or DVD-R only original dvds

have you managed to get your ps2 to play any other copied DVDs
    The Power of a Goldfish Should never be underestimated

Comment

• eep
      • Aug 2004

Yes, my PS2 plays DVD-Rs, in fact I'm using DVD-RWs.

I've burnt and played MPEG-2 and MPEG-1 films (separately). The only thing I'm having trouble with is putting two MPEG-1 films onto one disc, with menus.

I can play them, if I don't put any menus on.

I notice from IFOEdit that the menus TMPG puts on are MPEG-2, and I'm guessing that's the norm, and most DVD players are happy with a mixed format disc, just not the PS2. I'm hoping that it is actually possible to create MPEG-1 menus, or hack/patch them up to work.

Any ideas

Comment

• ormonde
        Digital Video Explorer
        • Dec 2003

"I'm using TMPEG to put a couple of MPEG-1 movies onto a DVD"

Are you using "TMPGEnc DVD Author"? "TMPGEnc" is a different program. Mpeg-1 is a perfectly legitimate DVD format, but if the audio is sampled at 44.1 KHz, it must be re-sampled at 48 KHz. DVD Author will do this automatically if you have "Re-encode the audio using the output format of the track" checked in the "Audio Settings" under "Clip Information". Also, have you tried putting each mpeg-1 file on a different "Track"?

Comment

• eep
          • Aug 2004

Yes I'm using TMPGEnc DVD Author - sorry for not being clear, just being lazy.

I've used TMPGEnc (not author) to de-multiplex the MPEG-1 .mpg file to give me .m1v and mp2 files, and then re-encoded the audio to 48 KHz using BeSweet.

If I author the DVD without menus the movies play fine. If I author the DVD with menus the PS2 displays the menu but wont play any of the movies. I am putting each mpeg-1 file on a different track.

I think the problem is that the menus are MPEG-2 and the movies are MPEG-1 and the PS2 doesn't like this.

Authoring with MPEG-1 menus - can it be done?
          Last edited by eep; 5 Aug 2004, 06:27 PM.

Comment

• ormonde
            Digital Video Explorer
            • Dec 2003

"I've used TMPGEnc (not author) to de-multiplex the MPEG-1 .mpg file to give me .m1v and mp2 files, and then re-encoded the audio to 48 KHz using BeSweet."

There is no need to perform this extra step. Re-read my last post carefully. DVD Author should accept the mpeg-1 files (if DVD compliant) straight away-no need to demultiplex first. You might also try a different "Brand" or "Type" of media to test on your PS2.

Comment

• eep
              • Aug 2004

Thanks for trying to help.

I'm well aware that TMPEnc DVD Author can accept the MPEG-1 files, but in my experience, it's quite slow and not as good with audio as BeSweet. My PC's getting on a bit so the saving is quite significant - several hours in some cases!

I don't think there is any problem with the media. I have used this media on the PS2 for hundreds of MPEG-2 movies with menus, and many MPEG-1 movies without menus, and have had no problems.

My only problem is with a DVD containing MPEG-1 movies authored with menus (MPEG-2). On the PS2 it shows the menus but won't play the films. If I author it without menus, it plays just fine.

I'm pretty certain the problem would be solved by creating MPEG-1 menus. I don't know if this can be done.

Thanks again for trying to help.

Comment

• ormonde
                Digital Video Explorer
                • Dec 2003

"If I author it without menus, it plays just fine."

I would just continue to do it this way since you say it works for you. Is it absolutely necessary that you have the menus?

"I'm pretty certain the problem would be solved by creating MPEG-1 menus. I don't know if this can be done."

I don't believe DVD Author differentiates between mpeg-1 and mpeg-2 when constructing menus. That information is contained within the structure of the main .IFO file, which the program authors the same way regardless of the video format.

"Thanks again for trying to help."

Glad to be of help
                Last edited by ormonde; 6 Aug 2004, 01:00 AM.

Comment

• eep
                  • Aug 2004

If I don't get any joy with this, then I will just have to stick with the "no menus" option. It just makes it a bit awkward when I want to put more than one MPEG-1 on a DVD. I can still access the different films via chapters, but I'm just hoping menus are possible.

I was hoping someone would be able suggest a different authoring program or tool that offered the option, or even if someone understood more about the raw formatting of the menus, ifos, vobs I could hack/patch something together.

It'll be no disaster if it's not possible - I just want to know.

Cheers

Comment

• ormonde
                    Digital Video Explorer
                    • Dec 2003

"I was hoping someone would be able suggest a different authoring program or tool"

Nero Platinum - 7 programmes en une suite ! ✓ Montage vidéo ✓ Streaming ✓ Sécurité des données ✓ Conversion ✓ Gravure ✓ Radio mondiale ► Plus d'informations

Comment

Working...