Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • stevethames
    • Oct 2004

TMPGenc DVD Author Audio Sync - Wierd!

I have been using an Adaptec Vide-OH! PCI card and MyDVD to capture. It has actually done quite well for me and I have used it for some time. I use DVD Author to build my DVD's and it works great. Most of my capture is from Dish and that's fine. However, I bought some region 2 versions of a TV show a few years ago and a modified DVD player to watch them. I have been capturing those episodes to burn them to Region 1 (their available for R1 now so there is no legal issue). I have transferred about 250 10 minute video chapter files and three are giving me a wierd problem.

I play the captured files in WinDVD, WMP, MPEG2VCR, and others and it plays great. However, in the "Chapter Cut Edit" setup of DVD Author, if I play the clip from the beginning, there is a sync delay in the audio. This shows up in the DVD, also. Here's the kicker: if I scan forward to a given scene and play it from there in DVD Author, the sync problem disappears. That's how I missed it, originally. It only shows up in DVD author if I play the clip from the beginning. Further, editing the clip to remove the first few frames does not help. The sync problem remains.

I found one solution to this on the web was to convert the mpeg to a new one through Showbiz. This works but the resulting video contains jitter and is unacceptable. The standard process of correcting a constant (not progressive) sync problem is to resample the video with an audio offset. I've done this many times successfully. Unfortunately, in this case, I have no tool that actually sees the sync problem. It only shows up on the burned DVD and in the Chapter Cut Edit tool of DVD Author and only if I play the clip from the beginning.

Here's a wierd twist. If I convert the mpeg to a new mpeg for DVD using TMPGenc Plus 1.5, the sync delay shows up on all tools. I could then use this to resample again with an audio offset but I have discovered that multi generation files have unacceptable quality.

Does anyone have any suggestions on the wierd sync problem?
  • stevethames
    • Oct 2004

Solved

Ok, it turned out that the jitter problem was solved by swapping frames on the input source. I don't really understand that because Bitwise Viewer was reporting Field A (top field) was first but when I switched TMPGEnc 2.5 to specify Field B (bottom field) first on the input source, viola! No more jitter.

As it turned out, I took the original mp3 file that was captured through using S-Video and RCA 2-channel audio from a PAL DVD player and split the audio and video into separate files. I used Ulead Video Studio 8 to determine the audio offset (500ms) and then used TMPGEnc with the original file as the source. That is important because it is not necessary to merge the split files back together. I specified an audio offset of 500ms, set the field input to Field B (bottom field) and built a new MP3 file with the otherwise standard settings for a DVD mp3 in TMPGEnc.

This worked perfectly.

I hope this helps someone else.

Comment

Working...