Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jongear
    • Nov 2004

Change Aspect Ratio without recoding

My Philips DVDR 75 seems to make all recordings in 4:3 aspect ratio, regardless of source ratio (e.g. 16:9 from satellite). This is not a problem when playing back its recordings on Televisions/DVD players where one can manually change the ratio, but on others (including laptop's Power DVD) , it is.
    I can achieve conversion (from 4:3 to 16:9) by recoding DVD entirely (e.g. using Nero Vision Express), but wondered if there is a simpler, quicker solution by editing .ifo files (where aspect ratio info seems to be stored). Is there any software (prefrably free) that can achieve this (e.g. Ifoedit?) and, if so, how?
    Last edited by jongear; 7 Nov 2004, 09:56 PM.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"My Philips DVDR 75 seems to make all recordings in 4:3 aspect ratio, regardless of source ratio"

If, in fact, that is actually what's happening ('though I doubt it):

I know that WinDVD's floating menu includes "Display" - which allows you to change the format. I've got to believe that PowerDVD, which is similar in so many ways, also has such a function available...

Comment

• jongear
      • Nov 2004

Need to change inherent format

Power DVD only seems to have flakey aspect ratio control - I could buy an add-on or change player (or I can remove keep aspect ratio check mark & drag corners)- yet problem would still be on other systems (e.g. my daughters PlayStation).

Recordings are in 4:3 regardless of source - this has been verified (eg. by IfoEdit). If I recode the recordings, it takes about 4 hours (and I can loose some quality). Yet I can copy a DVD in less than half an hour without recoding. I am therefore eager to find a solution where only the aspect ratio is altered (by editing the ifo file?)

I am sure that this must be possible.

Comment

• jongear
        • Nov 2004

Eurika

I've found how to use ifoedit to change aspect ratio, that works on some players. In case others have this issue: (once recording is copied to hard drive by DVDShrink - without shrinking) in Ifoedit, open ifo files, click on film icon next to aspect ratio and change radio button from 4:3 to 16:9 (and appropriate letterbox display), then Save (and burn new DVD). This seems to do trick - but not for all players.

If anyone has a better, more elegant solution, I'd love to hear. I'm not exactly sure what I've done - or if it may introduce new problems.
        Last edited by jongear; 8 Nov 2004, 12:20 AM.

Comment

Working...