X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jphoenix
    • Feb 2002

Memory, How much do we need?

Another Topic up for discussion.

My system has 256 Mb of SDRam. Running Win98se I am only using 25% or so Norton System Information tells me.

When Encoding using TMPG, I have started up Norton SI and it tells me that I'm now using 80% of physical Memory.

So Here's the Question

How Much Ram do we need?

It looks to me as if Memory is not really an issue when encoding. As long as you have 60% of your physical Memory available, you can happily encode knowing you are not waisting speed due to low memory.

Now I know that Speed is a Big issue in this game. Faster project, means more time to other projects. etc...

What do you think?
  • WizyWyg
    • Mar 2002

Put as much as you can. you can never have enough. Whenever you run an encoding program it takes up ALL your system resources, so dont be surprised.

Comment

• scottt
      • Jan 2002

Memory

I found that you need enough memory to prevent diskswapping. I have 512 DDR in my computer. Tried more and the speed didnt increase enough to warrent spending more money on memory. A member sugested to me to run bare minimum programs while compressing.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Feb 2002

More memory is better, as was said you want to get away from pageing. Do you have the DVD files on one disc and the finished product on another (not another partition)? fitting another disc will help things no end.
        On my XP system with 512 the conversion program uses about 130 meg, so with the OS and other assosrted junk 512 seems a good start.

Kevin

Comment

• jphoenix
          • Feb 2002

Good Point.

I forgot to say I was running Win98se, so it only uses 60Mb or Ram for operating. I shut down all non essential programs, and with 256Mb, I seem to have memory to spare.

I'd love to go to DDR, as I know this would deffinitely have a speed increase.

I have a 40G split into 6/6/25 Gb partitions.
          I'm gonna have to invest in another drive I think. Still all my speed test on HDrives does prove interesting also.

Have tested a Seagate baracuda III 40Gb 7200rpm against my last drive, WD20Gb 7200rpm, physical through put for the Seagate was 3.2MB/S, while the WD was 5.9Mb/s.

Now with a WD40Gb, I'm getting 6.2Mb/s. It pays to check these things out if u want to get the best results.

Comment

• scottt
            • Jan 2002

Windows 95, Windows 98, and Windows ME have the ability to address up to 4GBs of virtual memory, but only 2GBs of physical RAM. The catch is that these operating systems will not reliably use RAM beyond the 512MB mark.

You may run into problems if you have more than 512MB of physical RAM installed.

As for partitioning, N/G. Partitioning is a problem when adding new drives. When adding a new drive, see if "system properties/device manager/diskdrive/settings/DMA" is checked. This will allow faster transfer. !! your motherboard might not allow this!

Comment

• jphoenix
              • Feb 2002

"and with 256Mb, I seem to have memory to spare"

Memory is not a problem, Encoding Video leaves memory free.

But I gotta question. DMA for HD is not dependant of Partitions.
              In Device manager u only see one HD listed for the physical HD's u have, not for every partition.

I've always run partitons for backups, compiling CD images, and for storing Large files. I've had no problems.

As for speed, it makes sense to use a separate hard drive on a different IDE connector, But I only have Pri & Sec. Until the next M/Board, with a Promise controller.

Comment

• scottt
                • Jan 2002

Dma

Direct memory access is for drive only.

I haven't had success on secondary ide pci adapters. save your money and update your computer. Then you can update to DDR but watch the prices. I paid $38 for 256 DDR

Comment

Working...