Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • robertjp
    • Feb 2004

need dvd ram clarification

Can someone tell me if its true that you can not play a dvd ram back on a regular dvd player or computer drive with dvd player?

I bought a Panasonic e55 dvd r and I cant play dvd rams back on anything other than the unit itself.

Also does anyone know if any dvd r burners will allow for adding a title to a chapter? Panasonic told me I would not be able to name a chapter but I could create one with the e55.

Thanks much Bob P
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your DVD burner, as well as media compatibility, go to:

(If necessary, open the Device Manager in the Control Panel to determine the make and model number)

To determine the capabilities/limitations of your specific brand and model of standalone DVD player, as well as media compatibility, go to:

Comment

• robguy
      • Jun 2003

I am not aware of any standalone dvd player that allows playback of DVD-RAM disks (other than the Panasonic you currently have), since that is a unique dvd-rewritable format, although someone else reading this discussion thread may know of such a machine.

As for playing DVD-RAM discs on your PC, you can trot down to your local Wal-Mart Supercenter and purchase a Lite-On DVD-ROM drive that will play DVD-RAM disks (it says so on the side of the box).

I hope this info is helpful.

Comment

• joegib
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Dec 2001

I bought an E55 a few days ago. The following points may be of interest:

1. You can establish whether your existing PC drives are capable of reading DVD-RAM disks using Nero Infotool or DVDInfoPro -- but sticking a RAM disk in the drive will tell you this, of course.

2. You can always use a -R disk in the E55 if you want to create a disk readable by PCs or other set-top players.

3. Incidentally, although the manual doesn't say so, the E55 will also read +R and +RW disks (though it won't write to these).

4. There are plenty of PC DVD drives that can read DVD-RAM disks -- I use a Toshiba SD-M1712, some Pioneers do and robguy has mentioned the LiteOns.

5. Be aware, however, that DVD-RAM disks containing video files created by the E55 are not "playable" even in those PC drives that can read RAM disks. The machine creates a special file set with the main video file having a ".VRO" extension. These are not playable in that form by a player such Power DVD (not sure about WinDVD). If, however, you copy the VRO file to your hard disk and rename it with an ".MPG" extension, it can then be played or edited.

Comment

Working...