X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnvan8
    • Mar 2002

1 video file 4-gig long possible?

Hi all,
    I'm kind of new to this so bear with me...
    Ok here's the deal:
    I want to burn Hi8 home video tapes onto DVD-R. I have a Dazzle capture device (mpeg2) and I will be using Ulead movie factory. I have a windows me system.
    However, I don't want a menu with different clips. Can I capture continuously for about 2 hours (resulting in a 4 gig approx file) and then burn that 1 file onto the DVD-R?
    The reason I'm asking is I have noticed that vob files on dvd movies never exceed 0.99 gig so I figure there must be a reason.
    Thanks in advance for any input.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

I believe that you'll discover that other than the Windows NT "family" and Windows XP, your system won't create or handle files larger than 2Gigs (without some special modification software).

Comment

• Trilobite
      • Jan 2002

With harddrive formatted Fat32 (Windows ME), you are going to hit a limit of 4GB. With NTFS formatted drive (Windows 2000/XP), you can go well beyond 4GB (I think up to 80GB or so, not that you would ever want to do such a thing). I use Windows 2000 and have captured several video files of above 4GB on NTFS formatted drive.

Comment

• Kevin P
        • Feb 2002

Will the limit not be built into the capture software? I use the Dazzle converter with a Raptor DV card and the software "breaks" the capture up into 2gig blocks for me.

The capture can be set to seamless and you are only limited by the amount of hard drive space you have.

You will find the DVd author software will create the 1 gig vob files when it creates the DVD files. If you can I would suggest you create the files on the hard drive then you can use a software DVd player such as Power DVD to test the thing out and make sure its ok before a Burn. Thenyou can burn with the burning software of your choice.

Kevin

Comment

• Trilobite
          • Jan 2002

"Will the limit not be built into the capture software? I use the Dazzle converter with a Raptor DV card and the software "breaks" the capture up into 2gig blocks for me. " Very true. I have the ATI AIW 128 and when it is installed on a WinME system, you can set the max capture size up to 4GB. With the card installed on Win2k and NTFS drives, you can set the maximum capture size all the way up to the size of the hard disk.

"You will find the DVd author software will create the 1 gig vob files when it creates the DVD files. If you can I would suggest you create the files on the hard drive then you can use a software DVd player such as Power DVD to test the thing out and make sure its ok before a Burn. Thenyou can burn with the burning software of your choice." Very true and very good advice.

Comment

Working...