Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • izerv
    • Mar 2002

Copying DVD movies with less than 4.7GB size

Can anyone give me exactly instructions for copying DVD less than 4500 mb ? I have Pioneer A03 DVD-r

Thanx
  • jbrice
    • Mar 2002

Here's the guide:

Comment

• izerv
      • Mar 2002

Subtitles

After ripping with smartripper and making dvd with SpruceUp subtitles will be shown ?

Comment

• jbrice
        • Mar 2002

If you are burning an exact copy of the VIDEO_TS folder, then everything on your copy should be exactly the same as the original (including subtitles.)

Since you have the Pioneer A03, you could use Prassi (it comes free on the Installation CD that came with your Pioneer). Prassi is good for just making a copy, and it will warn you first if something is wrong with your VIDEO_TS folder so you don't waste a DVD-R.

I haven't used SpruceUp but I thought you needed SpruceUp only if you needed to do special things like remux. By the way, I've been wanting to try SpruceUp but I haven't been able to find it ... I thought is was "discontinued"? ... do you know where to get it?

Comment

• izerv
          • Mar 2002

Do you know another program except spruce up for making copies of dvds larger than 4.5gb ?

(and without having problem with subtitles?)

Comment

• jbrice
            • Mar 2002

If your DVD is too big to copy directly (most new ones are too big) you have two choices:

1. Use IFOEdit to strip things out until it's small enough to fit (under 4,608,000 KB). This is much easier and less error-prone because you're not actually re-encoding the movie. You're just stripping pieces out. To see an excellent guide on how to do this go to http://www.doom9.net then click The Guides then "DVD and miniDVD Guides" then under IFOEdit guides click "Creating a DVD that contains just the main movie". You can strip out one video stream, one audio stream and a subtitle stream, and if you're lucky your newly stripped movie will be under 4,608,000 KB then you can burn that as-is.

2. If your movie is still too big, then you've got to transcode it, which means re-encoding it at a lower bitrate so the file size gets smaller. This can get very complicated; there are many different ways to do it, depending on what you want.

Here is one way (probably the easiest): use reMPEG2 (12 hour process). Feed it the VOBs produced in Step #1 above, and it will give you a smaller .M2V file. Then remux that .M2V file back into IFOEdit and you're done. Just burn this new movie as-is.

Here is another way: Use TMPEGEnc, feed it the VOBs produced in Step #1 above. (TMPEGEnc won't take the VOBs directly, you need to use DVD2AVI to create a project file (.D2V) which TMPEGEnc will accept.) Then encode at a lower bitrate. This might take only half the time that reMPEG2 takes and with TMPEGenc you have more features. This gives you a smaller .M2V file but you might have trouble remuxing it back into IFOEdit (Supposedly you can, but I could not get that to work). So you have to remux it some other way, such as with SruceUp.

All of this is explained (and more, such as guides on Subtitles which you seem to be particularly interested in) in the doom9 guides.

Comment

• izerv
              • Mar 2002

Can you explain to me the second choice of your post reply ?

Comment

• jbrice
                • Mar 2002

What exactly do you want explained? Can you ask a specific question?

Comment

• izerv
                  • Mar 2002

I want to know How can I see wich file has the subtitles and how can I import subtitles to my copy.
                  I ripped my movie with smartripper (demuxing audio and video files) and I import ac3 and m2v file to spruce up and making a new movie but I do not see subtitles

Comment

Working...