Source of problem... Encoding or Authoring?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Thinkly
    • Jun 2005

Source of problem... Encoding or Authoring?

I created a movie using Windows Movie Maker 2. I saved the movie as high quality NTSC. Then I used TMPGenc to encode to mpeg2. From there i authored with TmPGenc author.

The movie plays fine before i encoded it. However in DVD playback i get a few places where it freezes. Mainly, in areas with transitions between clips. How can it tell if it was the DVD burning or the encoding that caused the problem?

Any suggestions how to get rid of this? Thanks.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"How can it tell if it was the DVD burning or the encoding that caused the problem?"

Playback the harddrive DVD "package" on your PC, using a dedicated software DVD player such as WinDVD or PowerDVD, or VideoLAN ("VLC") player...

Comment

• Thinkly
      • Jun 2005

OK. Thanks. The problem lies in the encoding. I am presently trying to re-encode it. I slowed the frame rate from 29 to 24. I also selected DVD in the TMPGenc encoding software instead of Mpeg 2 when i set up the output type.

I think i can then drag it into author as a dvd and directly author it. I will see if that improved things. Does it matter where i convert it to DVD? IOW, does it matter if i do it in the encoding program or is it better to do it in DVD author?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

This is what I do (The same principle applies to the files you've created in Movie Maker).

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
        (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

Working...